 Administrative / General / 6434
Re: PW validation (was: Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 23 Apr 2000 19:51:24 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Anders Isaksson writes:
Todd Lehman skrev i meddelandet ...
So are you going to enforce that people HAVE to set their passwords to
things that the validator feels don't suck,

That is its purpose.

I think that's unwise (to _force_ people to use an acknowledged pw). Two
reasons:

- one cannot choose a password that is easy to remember --> it will be
written down in some easy accessible place.

Can't or won't?

- by disallowing some passwords, you are limiting the number of possible
passwords, i.e. you are making a brute force attack easier.

I don't believe that's the case.

http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=5788

- the refutation of a password makes the customer irritated, especially if
there's no _obvious_ (to the customer) reason.

I may have to make a short FAQ page.

Test for a minimum length, and force a mix of letters (upper and lower case)
and numbers/special characters, and it will be good enough.

SW:Ep1
M:Tron6989
70'sLEGO
2*4Brick