 Administrative / General / 6387
Re: PW validation (was: Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 22 Apr 2000 16:22:41 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Richard Franks writes:
Even if you have great passwords - can't just anyone in the intervening
networks between the user and LUGNET just snoop in and copy down the
unencrypted password?
As long as it's using http and not https, yes.  Once it's in a cookie, it's
no longer plaintext, so it's less susceptible to snooping although still
susceptible to playback attacks.

Aren't the contents of a cookie simply Base64-encoded?  I mean, it's a
wel-known and reversable format.

Cheers,
- jsproat