 Administrative / General / 6298
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 13:07:07 GMT

we'd like to keep this in place for at least 24 hours to collect feedback.
   Well, since you asked, I thought I'd leave mine.

Changepoint 1
Remapped the range 0 to 100 to the range 0 to 5...
  This change could be for the better.  I was fine with the 100 scale (I think
the 5 scale gives less acurate results) but it's good if it makes rating easier
for people.  Hopefully this will cause more people to rate.  Under the old
0-100 system, I constantly was counting dots to see where "70" or "60" was.
under any system, I think it might be nice to somehow label each selection.

and changed the default score from 50/100 to 1/5 so
  This is much better than setting the default to zero as you seem to suggest
in http://www.lugnet.com/admin/general/?n=6288  I see a huge difference between
"not yet rated" and "rated down" and think that for ratings to work that we
need both.

Changepoint 2
...display them now as a string of "+" symbols (and a "-" symbol for 0)
   I don't mind going from 0-100 to 0-5, but I would MUCH rather see the number
than a number of symbols.  It is much easier to quickly assess the rating of a
message when I don't have to count the symbols (and they are too close together
for me to be able to quickly tell the number by just looking).  I wonder if
others feel the same about this change.

Changepoint 3
Simplifed the rating display in the "Brief" article view mode
  As long as unrated messages are the only ones that don't have their
rating shown, this is fine.  You mentioned changing the "-" to showing no
rating, and that makes it difficult to tell the difference between bad and
unrated messages.  I prefer to see the "by 7" in all of the ratings views so
that I can tell how many have rated, but I would live on without that.

Changepoint 4
In a couple of places, flipped the direction of the symbol used for showing
articles you've rated from >> to << (only cosmetic to support the above).
  I didn't notice and I doubt that this will be the point that you get the most
complaints about. :)

Ben Roller