 Administrative / General / 6271
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 02:51:49 GMT

Shiri Dori wrote in message ...
In lugnet.admin.general, John Koob writes:

One idea is that ratings continue to be collected as they are now, but
conditionally display the numerical results.  That is, only display the
net rating result for a post if:
  - the sample size is greater than a certain threshold (say 4)
  - the rating is greater than a threshold (say 70)
In this way, noteworthy posts would stand out.  Also, the ability to
down-rate a message still exists, but there is little chance of
offending the poster.

That's a good idea! I'm not sure what you mean by "sample size"; but I • think
that adding another condition would be useful:
-Only display the rating if more than X people have rated it (X = ? Perhaps
5?)

Is that what you meant by sample size?

Yes.

It doesn't really matter what X is, but 4 or 5 seems reasonable
to start with.

--
John

(remove the obvious to reply)