 Administrative / General / 5566
Re: New feature: Article rating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 19:20:42 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 18:23:11 GMT, Todd Lehman <lehman@javanet.com>
wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:
Still don't like it.  And what's to prevent people from memorizing that
password and using it on other systems?  [...]

Excellent point.  Thanks.  You've just demonstrated that a machine generated
password does absolutely nothing to ensure (as in 100%) that a password is
actually unique to a particular system.  It makes it more probable, but doesn't
unconditionally guarantee it.

What I used to do and still do in some cases where I think people
might be trying to get my passwords is to use a core word (I choose
one from about a dozen Latin or Russian words, sometimes spelled, in
the case of Russian, the way I like to spell them, not necessarily the
correct way) then wrap it or break it up with one of a half dozen
numbers (ranging from 2-6 digits) and then wrap or break that up with
the name of the site or some abbreviated form of it (lugnet might be
lugnet or lug or gn or whatever).

That usually comes up with a fairly secure password.

--
Tired of waiting for LEGO Direct? Bulk Parts Sales NOW!
http://www.guarded-inn.com/lego/sales/parts.html