 Administrative / General / 5550
Re: New feature: Article rating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 17:01:12 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 16:19:07 GMT, "Lorbaat" <eric@nospam.thirteen.net>
wrote:

Plus I lose my
cookies (sounds kinda gross) often enough on the machines I DO use on a
regular basis.

How does that happen?  And is user error really something that Lugnet needs to
accomodate?

Well, in that LUGNET should "accomodate" the ability to set your own
password (something _every_ online store/site I use does) yes.  And I
doubt Larry is losing his cookies due to "user error".  Saving your
password in a cookie is nice, but its a boneheaded way of doing it
given the reality that some of us use many machines and don't always
have a home area mounted for personal stuff to go to.

This probably sounds like I'm calling you lazy in a roundabout way, which is
not my intention.  I have no idea what kind of undertaking it might be for you
to actually get all the machines you use to be logged in and not drop cookies.
It might be truly garagantuan.  But I'd be willing to bet you're in a very,
very small subest of the Lugnet community there.  And even at that, you could
log in on one or two "primary" machines and use those exclusively for features
that require you to log in (which, AFAIK, are limited to changing your personal
info and rating posts.... not much).

Given the fact that Todd has expressed such concern over browser
compatibility, which could literally mean "accomodating" 2 or 3
people, changing the password system to work like every other site I
visit seems a small thing to ask.

I'd much rather see Todd's Lugnet Development Time spent on totally new
features.  But, as I said, that's just my opinion.

I'd rather see Todd's LDT spent on fixing something that was broken to
begin with.  :)

--
Tired of waiting for LEGO Direct? Bulk Parts Sales NOW!
http://www.guarded-inn.com/lego/sales/parts.html