 Administrative / General / 5540
Re: New feature: Article rating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 13:43:26 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Mike Stanley wrote:

On Sun, 26 Mar 2000 04:54:53 GMT, Larry Pieniazek <larryp@novera.com>
wrote:

I really want the ability to set my own password. I've lost my password
somewhere and don't have a prayer of remembering what it is. SO I can't
rate my articles 100 and Todd's 0 until I either find it again or get my
pw set to something easy for me to remember (but impossible for anyone
else to get right)

Yeah, I don't think I've ever "signed in" simply because I can't
bother to keep up with another password I didn't pick.  Once I hear I
can login ONCE with this password I refuse to put any effort into
holding onto or remembering and change it to something I can remember
without effort, I'll do it.  Until then, having a password without the
ability to change it isn't of much value to me.

Totally agreed. Machine generated, unchangeable passwords get written
down. That compromises them. If this system is so important that
security is paramount over ease of use (which I have a hard time seeing,
it doesn't control human lives or large sums of money, but then I'm just
a user) put some password rules in place to avoid easy to break ones and
to avoid easy dictionary attack.

But the design of forcing use of a machine generated, hard to remember
password is just plain wrong.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!