 Administrative / General / 5525
Re: New feature: Article rating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sun, 26 Mar 2000 05:21:34 GMT

Kevin Salm wrote:

I really want the ability to set my own password. I've lost my password
somewhere and don't have a prayer of remembering what it is. SO I can't
rate my articles 100 and Todd's 0 until I either find it again or get my
pw set to something easy for me to remember (but impossible for anyone
else to get right)
Larry Pieniazek

So I suppose Todd is going to have to call you on the telephone again to give
you your password.  I guess that we can forgive you as you have recently moved
into a new home and that can increase anyones confusion/disorganization factor.

Are you super-ultra concerned that someone will get your password?

No. I just couldn't think of a place to put it. I don't write on my
laptop screen and the plastic around the edge is black. No other place
is likely to be always near me. I forgot to put it into my top secret
password file. (which is used only for unimportant passwords, all my
real ones are memorised)

I kinda like the complete randomness of my password.  If I ever memorize it I
surely will remember it forever.  But I could never pick such a random
assortment of letters, numbers, and special characters as my Lugnet password
contains.

I can. It's not hard.

Here's one algorithm that works well.

Pick an easily memorable phrase that has special meaning to you and no
one else. It might be anything. Pick a number less than 5. Take that
letter out of each word of the phrase and use it in your password.

Tres random and quite unguessable, even under dictionary attack.
Especially if the phrase is something memorable only to you (this is
where I go off the rails, I use obscure founding fathers quotes, which
theoretically are guessable if you know me well enough.)

But I am in general much much much less concerned with my Lugnet
password than I am with, for example, my X password, which currently is
securing over 1000 USD, or my AmEx password, which, since I have some
stunning charge habits (not just LEGO, all those last minute airline
tickets at 2K each add up fast), is good for 30K a month of charges if
it were cracked. Not that it would be very defeatable but you get the
idea.

So I'd change my L password to something very easy to remember. Written
passwords are not secure. Passwords given to you by others tend to get
written down more than passwords you pick.

--
Larry Pieniazek - lpieniazek@mercator.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!