 Administrative / General / 12276
Re: Bye, bye LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:04:41 GMT

Woah, I just realized this was going to lugnet.general, and not to
lugnet.admin.general. Should probably change the FUT!

In lugnet.general, David Koudys wrote:
Then I started thinking that if the filter turns specific words into #%##$,
and people know that, so they type S P A C E D words to get around the
filter, then that person *knows* they're in violation of the TOU and had to
work consiously and specifically to get around it, therefore appropriate
measures would be used.

Yep. There's a kazillion ways to get around it, and I'd probably just prefer it
if the system caught casual accidental abuses of the system rather than the
pre-meditated violations. I didn't get a chance to see Willy's initial note, but
it sounds kinda like if he got a "are you sure you want to post this word right
here?" alert, that he might have just said "oh, oops" and fixed the problem.

So it's not as if we need to include a word, and every derivative thereof, in
the database.

Nope. Although I would probably include the most common abuses, like
interspersed spaces or periods, or exchanged letters-for-numbers or the like.

So do we have different language filters for different regions, or do we just
go to the lowest common denominator and add words that would be offensive in
any part of the world to the database?

'Tis an interesting dilemma...

Yeah, same with being multi-lingual. I seem to recall that "cookie" (probably a
different spelling) was a rather vulgar term in Hungarian. But realistically,
I'm not sure what could be done about that. I'd just go with what is KNOWN to be
commonly offensive and go from there. In the end, it's Lugnet's image, so it can
decide what levels it wants to maintain in which venues.

DaveE