 Administrative / General / 11417
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general
Date:
Sat, 21 Feb 2004 16:42:32 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeff Szklennik wrote:
TRY # 2

<<http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/Jeff-S/Misc-Ideas/lugnet03.jpg>>

Ayiee, mine eyes!!  ;]

I find it overwhelming.  One of the trends that I notice in home page
design is that people are increasingly trying to link to every single
page of their site's content (and affiliate sites' content) from the
home page.  The result is a page of 3 to 4 columns of nothing but
links, little content.  I find it completely overwhelming.  I think
it's better the keep with a home page that allows you to step into
major topic areas on sub-pages, and then let the sub-pages give all
the links.

However Jeff's ideas did highlight one interesting thing to me.  The
current LUGNET home page doesn't feature a single brick (permanently)
anywhere on the page.  To me the 2x4 brick is the universal icon of
this hobby, but there's no prominent (yet unobtrusive) brick near
the top of the home page.  Other than the minifigs on the side,
and the occasional MOC image, a newcomer wouldn't see anything on this
page that is recognizeably linked to LEGO.  (The cool yet acid-trippy
LUGNET logo just doesn't count as recognizeable.)  I think the visual
design should be tweaked slightly to include a brick somewhere, so that
new visitors will automatically see something they recognize, and so that
returning visitors will keep seeing something they recognize, rather
than just a page full of text.  Maybe, subliminally, it'll help ward off
"dark ages".  ;]

Heck, if you wanna get fancy, how about a "Brick of the Week" feature as
well??  :]  (A different brick each week, could even link to a little
write-up with a suggested list of uses...)

Also, the homepage needs a more direct way of logging in for people who
are not dropping by to browse newsgroups, e.g., myself to log in to
update my collection list.

Thanx and regards,
KDJ

LUGNETer #203, Ontario, Canada