 Administrative / General / 11338
  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) It may be off topic, but I think it would be very cool if the site was designed using CSS layout, i.e. no nested tables. A great example site is: (URL) would make site development very straightforward, and allow people to switch look and feels (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) I don't think that's off-topic at all, Gary. Kind of a side-topic, but definitely an important consideration. The more that can be done via CSS instead of dynamic content on the server, too, the better. --Todd (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) I agree with Gary, except for one big thing. Precise CSS positioning that's cross-browser compatible (IE, Mozilla, Opera, Netscape, Mac) is a pain royalé, sitting right next to impossible. I've done it and it's nuts. Unless you don't care if (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) I agree: Don't Do That. The web isn't a brochure-display mechanism. (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) Very true, but I've found that simply specifying the correct doctype for pages works like magic, at least on modern browsers: <!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Transitional//EN" "(URL) Using this works amazingly well - the results (...) (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: New homepage for LUGNET

(...) I might also suggest that striving for looking terrific in IE first is a source of your frustration. See especially comments 35 and 36 in this post by Doug Bowman at Stopdesign: (URL). Constantine (20 years ago, 20-Feb-04, to lugnet.publish.html, FTX)