 Administrative / General / 11338
Re: New homepage for LUGNET
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general, lugnet.publish.html, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Feb 2004 02:38:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Todd Lehman wrote:
   Someone brought this up at BrickFest PDX and others agreed it would be an excellent idea: Rather than mainly linking to internal LUGNET resources, the first thing someone should see when they visit the LUGNET homepage is iconic links to other major community sites and resources, for example FBTB, BZPower, 1000steine.de, BrickLink, BrikTrak, LDraw.org, Peeron, BrickSet, BrickShelf, LEGO.com, and so forth.

Accordingly, I would like to task the community to come up with a brand new homepage for LUGNET.

What kind of changes? I don’t mean a facelift to the existing homepage, but rather a complete redesign from the ground up. Anything goes. (Except excessive JavaScript and proprietary stuff like Flash.) Consider it a blank whiteboard.

If you have thoughts or a wishlist, please reply to this thread and add your ideas. If you have mad HTML skills, by all means put on that HTML cap and see what you can come up with. When you have something to share, post a link to it, solicit public critique, make improvements, and let’s see where that goes. Perhaps within a week we could have a honkin’ homepage that totally rules.

--Todd

It may be off topic, but I think it would be very cool if the site was designed using CSS layout, i.e. no nested tables. A great example site is:

http://www.csszengarden.com

It would make site development very straightforward, and allow people to switch look and feels very easily.

Later,

Gary