  *98118 (-20)
Re: best set for micromotors, pneumatics
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:14:36 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jan-Albert van Ree writes:

Aw, don't worry, there's another one up, at $0.01 now without reserve even
;-)

D'oh!!! But then again it's now up to $15.50 with 9 days to go... and mine is
MISB, so blah... :-)

BTW, searching for 8479s sold on eBay indicates that $150 - $155 is about the
going rate these days. We know eBay isn't the cheapest.

Re: Friction Pulley question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 05:09:37 GMT

"Daniel A. Segel" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
At 04:10 AM 1/24/00 +0000, Mauro Vianna wrote:
This pulley was mentioned in Dave Baun book (scanbot, page 167).
Did anybody use the friction pulley from mindstorms kit to do connect 2
axles? It has a cross hole on one end and a rubber ring in the other that
seens to fit an axle.

I have three of these pulleys, and they're all too tight to allow any
slipping at all. Maybe when they're a little older they'll function more
like you're suggesting.

Daniel Segel

I thought about that too. If you use if with after some gear reduction
instead of attaching directly to the motor axle it may work. I'm trying to
use that to use the RCX to control steering in the #8445 (Indy car) set.
My concern is that I'm not sure if it was really designed to be used this
way. I'm afraid that it may damage the rubber ring. But I couldn't figure
any other use to that ring also. In fact, I didn't notice that ring until I
read the comment in the book. :)

Mauro Vianna

Subject:
Lego Technic List URL
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:03:51 GMT

Hey guys - I'm new here.  However, I have a list of most of the Lego Technic
sets released in the US since 1996, including Number, Name, Year, Number of
Pieces, Cost (Approximate), and Notes.  Please let me know if you find this
useful:

     http://home.tampabay.rr.com/markjen/Lego/TechnicList.html

It contains some updates to information in the Pause database, so I'm hoping
this finds its way to the person that administers that, just in case he/she is
interested in the info...

Tx, Mark

Re: Expensive Legos!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Tue, 25 Jan 2000 02:02:24 GMT

Marcelo H. Sola wrote:

I live in Buenos Aires and found 2 brand new Caribbean Clippers in a toy
shop. I intend to buy and keep both. The sad part is each costs $135. I'll
try to negotiate a better price as they've been there for many years
untouched together with a couple of even more expensive Black Seas
Barracudas. God, I wish Legos were as cheap here as thay are in the US!!

WTF??? Black seas baracudas still new in a toystore???

--
Jonathan Wilson
wilsonj@xoommail.com

Subject:
Interface B??
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:23:33 GMT

Hi.

This is a shot in the dark, but...

I was reading throught the website, and came across:

Interface B #9751

The Interface B has 4 passive inputs (for touch and temperature
sensors), 4 active inputs (for light and angle sensors) and 8
ouputs, plus a constant 9V "test" output. It interfaces to a
PC (it may be a simple RS232 serial connection, in which case
it would interface to any computer?)

This got me thinking (probably my first mistake :^)
If the the box is really an RS232 device, does
anyone out there have a guss on wether or not you
could hook it up to a IR tower, and have the RCX
tell it to do things??

If so it would be a great way to get more inputs and
outputs.

-Kyle

--
   _
-------------------------------ooO( )Ooo-------------------------------

Re: This week's S@H specials?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:52:44 GMT

Larry Pieniazek wrote:
ps?

And if you don't like being called a limey, don't call us Yanks. :-)

Erm, never mind. silly me, insulting someone with an appelation for a
country he doesn't live in. Limey is a derogatory for someone from the
UK not Canada.

--
Larry Pieniazek - larryp@novera.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!

Re: Young Obi-Wan's Head
Newsgroups:
lugnet.starwars
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:43:56 GMT

Why are the main character mini-figs in the Star Wars sets universal in • their
look of unhappiness?  The background characters seem generally cheerful.

Steve Bliss

Maybe they're tired of being surrounded by nothing but duplicates of
themselves (meaning TLG should make more background characters so we won't
have to figure out what to do with all those platoons of Luke's)!

Dave

Re: Plagiarism again (Was: Can we say, "Plagiarism"?)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:37:21 GMT

I think you done good.

If TLC wants us to respect their IP, they have to respect ours too. Now,
it's true that posting a model to their site grants certain IP rights
but they need to consider how to effectively prevent copied models.

--
Larry Pieniazek - larryp@novera.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!

Re: Thank you every train lovers
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:31:57 GMT

Yes, thanks muchly for the inspiration, you appeared in the nick of time
as it were... We'll be watching for your next work!

--
Larry Pieniazek - larryp@novera.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!

Re: Older train sets
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:31:04 GMT

Jonathan Reynolds wrote:

Douglas,
Take a look around some of the train-related sites. The original creations
displayed far surpass anything that was available from TLG.

Ain't that the truth.

Well, I'm happy to say my fingers are sore. I've been building all day,
with some help from the kids, and Nik's project train is all done. As
you may recall, he had signed up (they are all studying Japan) to report
on the "speed train" or Shinkazen.

It was very fortuitous that Masayuki showed up when he did, as his work
spurred me on. I cribbed a few ideas but I think I came up with
something somewhat different.

Basically it took 2 4561's, the doors from 2 5561s, and a lot of extra
slopes and blue and white bricks and plates... but I now have a 5 unit
(2 end power/control units and three cars in the center) bullet train. I
did not have that many of the 2 wide thinwalls to try the sideways move,
so I just used the boatloads of 4 wide thinwalls (the 1x4x3h kind). The
windows are kind of big, but that lets you see all the detailing.

I gotta get my camera fixed or replaced so I can show it off, but I
won't be tearing this creation down, although it doesn't really fit in
with my US prototype plans.

I had the rounded ends out from a Tie/Y but ended up just using a bunch
of airplane/boat noses to get a very pointy front end. I haven't decided
if it's too pointy or not, but it's good enough.

--
Larry Pieniazek - larryp@novera.com - http://my.voyager.net/lar

Note: this is a family forum!

Re: Friction Pulley question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:08:45 GMT

At 04:10 AM 1/24/00 +0000, Mauro Vianna wrote:
This pulley was mentioned in Dave Baun book (scanbot, page 167).
Did anybody use the friction pulley from mindstorms kit to do connect 2
axles? It has a cross hole on one end and a rubber ring in the other that
seens to fit an axle.

I have three of these pulleys, and they're all too tight to allow any
slipping at all. Maybe when they're a little older they'll function more
like you're suggesting.

Daniel Segel

--
"Ich bin ein Geleeschaumgummiring."
daniels@netcom.com

Re: For Your Eyes Only !!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:21:57 GMT

In lugnet.general, Jean-marc Détraz writes:
In lugnet.general, Shiri Dori writes:
In lugnet.general, Jean-marc Détraz writes:
Lego art has reached a new standard!  Maybe not the highest priced Lego in
eBay history, but certainly the highest opening bid I have ever seen.  Is
this really made of Lego pieces?  What's your opinion?

http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=244432396

She's a real beauty, but way outta my price range... {:^)>

Jean-Marc

Oh my gosh! That is one expensive lot!
I would've bid, I have $11,123 to spare, but the 21 cents - sorry, that's too
much for me ;-)

-Shiri

Shiri, send me your address, I'll be more than happy to send you a quarter!

LOL!
I can't express my graditude!

-Shiri

FS: Dark gray BURPs
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:16:04 GMT

I have approximately 100 of each type of the dark gray burps
which I would like to sell.

The 3x8x7 (triangle) burps are $0.75 US each.
The 4x10x6 (square) burps are $1.25 US each.

Actual shipping charges will have to be added.
E-mail me if you are interested.

Thanks for your time,
- Jeff Shiner

shiners@home.com

Re: Finally, I have a page!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:20:09 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Jeff Thompson writes:
In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
Hi everyone,

I finally have a page! Meanwhile, it contains only castle minifig MOCs.
Buildings will come soon (once I build them :-)

http://www.geocities.com/shiri_lego/

This is just a beginning, I have more pics just waiting for appropriate
captions and s'more time...

Tell me what you think!

-Shiri

FUT .castle

Way cool, Shiri!

The Rock Raider's babe's face looks good minus the microphone.  Time
to pull out the exacto knife and experiment.  It's been a while since
I cut lego.  Muahahhahahahahha.

Take a look at Craig's homepage - he has great modified minifigs, I was
inspired by him.

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"

On a side note - I always wondered, what does that mean?

-Shiri

Subject:
Friction Pulley question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 04:10:38 GMT

This pulley was mentioned in Dave Baun book (scanbot, page 167).
Did anybody use the friction pulley from mindstorms kit to do connect 2
axles? It has a cross hole on one end and a rubber ring in the other that
seens to fit an axle.

It seens it could be an option to any situation where you don't want the
motor to get stucked when the second axle stops, like steering mechanisms.
But I did not see any robot using it yet.

Mauro Vianna

Subject:
Expensive Legos!!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.pirates
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:06:31 GMT

I live in Buenos Aires and found 2 brand new Caribbean Clippers in a toy
shop. I intend to buy and keep both. The sad part is each costs $135. I'll
try to negotiate a better price as they've been there for many years
untouched together with a couple of even more expensive Black Seas
Barracudas. God, I wish Legos were as cheap here as thay are in the US!!

Re: 9736 Exploration Mars
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics, lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 03:10:34 GMT

Mark Koesel wrote:

Looking at the secondary catalog picture on http://www.lego.com for set
9736, I see that it includes four 40t gears, and (drum roll) many of the
bulldozer links (which are currently only available through Dacta).
Just thought I'd mentioned it, since I hadn't yet seen anyone else point
this out.

I think the pictures are just showing you examples of what you can make. If
you notice it includes the RCX. So the 40t gears could be from the Main set
and not the Mars pack...

Dean

Re: Finally, I have a page!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 02:59:14 GMT

In lugnet.castle, Shiri Dori writes:
Hi everyone,

I finally have a page! Meanwhile, it contains only castle minifig MOCs.
Buildings will come soon (once I build them :-)

http://www.geocities.com/shiri_lego/

This is just a beginning, I have more pics just waiting for appropriate
captions and s'more time...

Tell me what you think!

-Shiri

FUT .castle

Way cool, Shiri!

The Rock Raider's babe's face looks good minus the microphone.  Time
to pull out the exacto knife and experiment.  It's been a while since
I cut lego.  Muahahhahahahahha.

--

jthompson@esker.com   "Float on a river, forever and ever, Emily"

RE: Loading Grabs - scoop or hook
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 02:44:11 GMT

What Technic LEGO sets or MOC's have a loading grab, i.e., a front-end

Linc Smith (sorry, no URL handy) has a neat excavator.

Here's mine...

<http://www.hempeldesigngroup.com/lego/excavator/index.html>

Cheers,

Ralph Hempel - P.Eng

A picture is worth a thousand words, but very few
sets of a thousand words can be adequately described
by a picture...
Reply to:      rhempel at bmts dot com

FYI: Kmart LEGO Sale!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.market.shopping
Date:
Mon, 24 Jan 2000 02:48:44 GMT

Kmart is doing it again (this is the third time in the last two
months), "Buy One, Get One 50% Off" on LEGO.

This sale runs January 23rd thru the 29th.

Kmart is starting to become my favorite LEGO purchasing haunt.

Frederick.

Skipped 4 messages in groups lugnet.off-topic.debate, lugnet.off-topic.test (Skip-filter settings)

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact