 Znap / 129
128  |  130
Subject:
Building Belle
Newsgroups:
lugnet.znap, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.underground, lugnet.space, lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 6 Jun 2000 03:10:19 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Belle is a labor of love for me to build. Ever since the Rock Raiders came out,
they have been taking so much heat from the Lego community at large. Personally,
I think it's the best color scheme (behind M-tron, of course). I decided that
such a cool theme needed a cool mech to go with it, but how could that be
accomplished when there isn't much teal out yet? Answer: buying teal lots,
trading, Throwbots, Cyberstrikers. Suddenly, I had more teal than brown! Now I
could begin the project.

The problem quickly arose that articulation beyond a height of 12 inches was
close to impossible by conventional methods. Either I had to sacrifice mobility
or size. I was prepeared to sacrifice neither of these. The May 27th LUGOLA
meeting held the answer for me. Thanks to a trade with Henry Lim, I suddenly had
a ton of 4x4 round bricks with technic holes. I decided to try building Bell
again using these for support and articulation. After the first 8 inches, I knew
it was going to work. I finally had the basis for a 20 something inch mech that
could stand on it's own.

As Belle was being assembled, I realized that I was going to have serious
problems with the torso. The answer was staring me in the face: Znap. It is
stron, light, and integrates almost seamlessly with Technic and Lego. As I
continued to build, I realized that Znap could be utilized in the legs as well,
so I rebuilt them with Znap for support.

The tally so far on the 'useless' or less than desirable parts Ive used is this:
Insectoid Legs, Znap (many), Droid Fighter wings (brown, support), Cyberstrikers
teal (all over), Rock Raiders (duh), Throwbots-Amazon (support, color), Old
Technic, New Technic (both for support). More than 500 pieces so far, and I'm
not done above the waist yet.

I hope I'm up to this challenge ;-)

The files in question:

-Dave