 Year / 2005 / 4
Re: The Future...
Newsgroups:
lugnet.year.2005
Date:
Tue, 9 Jan 2001 03:45:54 GMT

In lugnet.year.2005, Jonathan Mizner writes:
Is this the first post in 2005?  Technically, it is.  Even though right
now it's only 2001...  I am looking into the future...  What will have
happened?  Will commercial space flights be available?  Will alien life have
been found?  Will Disneyland still be open?  All these question and more,
answered in four more years!

No, it won't all be answered in just four more years. NASA's Kepler space
telescope is contemplated now as a project for launch in 2005. If it makes
it, Kepler will seek out proof of Earth-size planets in neighboring star
systems. The expectation is that 500 Earth-size planets will be found by
2010. Plus lots of big gas balls like Jupiter.

There's always the outside chance that Earth has been cataloged by another
eye in the sky and they will drop in before 2005...