 Year / 2002 / 423
Re: Reviews of Island Xtreme Stunts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.reviews, lugnet.year.2002
Date:
Sun, 26 May 2002 05:18:17 GMT

In lugnet.reviews, Frank Filz writes:
A quick look would suggest that if it was completely
de-juniorized, probably fewer than 30 bricks would be added (probably
only 21 bricks would be added by eliminating the 5 high columns - 2
would be replaced by 5 2x2 bricks, 1 would be replaced by 2 1x2 bricks,
and 3 1x4s would become 1x6s, the other three 1x2x5 columns would be
replaced by 1x2s and the 1x6x5 would be replaced by 1x6s, the helicopter
skid would be replaced by 2 plates and 2 fences, adding 3 more parts,
the rest would be perhaps a few more details added).

I know some people hate 1x2x5 (does Tim C. hate it as much as the 2x4x3?)
but I've come to think of these as vertical 2x6 bricks. The real juniorized
junk is a fusion of special parts and basic brick, like bricks with axle pegs.

I think we are seeing LEGO prices drifting away from the 10 cents a
brick price point. To some extent, this is reasonable. I am rather
amazed that that price held steady for so long (though I guess the price
of plastic has probably been pretty stable, and TLC has probably trimmed
margins, and used greater automation, and other strategies to reduce
manufacturing costs).

It's not the cost of plastic. ABS is actually cheaper right now in areas
Lego quit producing in, but the raw material cost was eclipsed by the cost
of electricity. The price of energy is one reason for the stampede of
plastics production out of Europe and America (cost of labor being another.)