 Western/Wild West / 50
Re: Future Wild West Possibilities
Newsgroups:
lugnet.western
Date:
Thu, 30 Dec 1999 20:32:54 GMT

In lugnet.western, Dave Schuler writes:

The U.S. is a culture which, idiotic though it be, recently castigated a
public figure for using "niggardly" in a speech!  Does anyone seriously
believe there wouldn't be an almighty uproar if slaves weren't *somehow*
represented in a Civil War Lego series?  Or at least if their absence weren't
addressed in some way?  That, I think, and the resultant effect on market
success, would be a deciding factor in the use or non-use of the Civil War as
a theme.

Personally, it seems to me that there would be an uproar if slaves *were*
included in a Civil War theme. I remember a lot of very heated debates in an
otherwise calm high school American History class when we discussed the
topic of slavery and the American Civil War. It was like deja vu  four years
later when I encountered it in college. Slavery is still a very touchy
subject here,  in the United States, one-hundred years after the fact.

-Jonathan