 Underground / 133
Re: rock raiders praise
Newsgroups:
lugnet.underground, lugnet.general
Date:
Wed, 28 Jun 2000 16:58:17 GMT

"Joseph Gonzalez" <hsadm2.jgonzale@email.state.ut.us> wrote in message
news:Fwv992.LCn@lugnet.com...
hey folks

i've been enjoying the rock raiders theme much more than i thought i • would.
i started out buying the 4980 tunnel transport and 4950 loader dozer
and had a pretty good time with those (though i wasn't too crazy about the
juniorized parts and use of too many colors).

Yeah, I was too pleasantly surprised. I bought a small set "just to see what
it's like" and I immediately got ideas for new constructions! The Rock
Raider idea seems to work well as you get to create machinery in a spacey
theme!
I don't really mind the colours, it identifies the team, so when I'm
planning to have a competing digging team I can use different colours. I
feel the colours have the same purpose as in the space theme to differ
M-Tron, Blacktron, Spacepolice etc.

[snip!]

i'm currently cooking up some ideas for combination alternate models for • these
sets like a mobile construction platform and/or a tank that will utilize • two of
the large wheel-chassis elements found in the 4950 and 4970 sets.  the • recent
Town set 6474 wheeled front shovel could also easily be drawn into the mix
somehow.

I had a mobile drilling platform in mind with the caterpillar tracks it's
"legs", and two big shovels from 4959 as a giant gripper to move the dirt
away. I can also think of rock and emerald transport vehicles, machines with
conveyor belts on them and so on!

just had to share my fondness for the theme (which is probably in its last
year) and yes, i'm posting this to lugnet.underground AND lugnet.general • in
hopes of converting curious parties that have thought about it but haven't • made
the leap to buying yet.

Hopefully the Rock Raider's theme will continue, it's a refreshing theme.
Also since Rock Raiders is a playtheme within Underground I suspect that we
can expect more playthemes (a competing digging team? more native
underground creatures? Who knows!)

--
Frank Buiting

Visit the LEGO Lexicon: http://members.chello.nl/~f.buiting/lego/