 Trains / Train Organizations / 2807
Re: GFLTC NOT at GATS Clearwater this weekend
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Fri, 15 Jul 2005 23:27:21 GMT

IndyLUG has had an excellent expierence with GATS over the years.  We do
their show twice a year, October & January.  We always get all the space we
want, a decent apperance fee plus we also do a couple of paid workshops
entitled "How LEGO Trains Work".

It would be interesting to know some of the details of this situation if
Robin is at liberty to discuss them, and he may not be.

Brian Darrow

----- Original Message -----
From: "Scott Lyttle" <datafx7@yahoo.com>
To: <lugnet.trains.org@lugnet.com>
Sent: Friday, July 15, 2005 10:20 AM
Subject: Re: GFLTC NOT at GATS Clearwater this weekend

In lugnet.trains.org, Don Cox wrote:
In lugnet.trains.org, David Gregory wrote:
In lugnet.announce, Robin Werner wrote:
GFLTC News,

The Greater Florida LEGO Train Club (GFLTC) will NOT be displaying at
the Great
American Train Show (GATS) this weekend (July 16-17, 2005) in
Clearwater,
Florida. We were just recently informed that they do not have space for
us in
their train show floor plan.

GATS asked a LEGO Train club to NOT come to an event?!  I guess they
must be
tired of being a popular show and drawing in crowds/money.

David Gregory

It has happened to us and another club that I don't remember the name of.
Apparently there are train clubs that have told GATS that if a LEGO Club
comes,
they won't be there.  I was hoping the publicily of the recent NMRA
Display in
Cincinatti would change it, maybe in time it will.  My mind is that if
they can
tolorate O, S, HO, N, TT, Z, then they can make room for 'L'.

-- Don    GtwLUG     St. Louis

It is just me, or is GATS hard to deal with?  I've heard several cases
where GATS was just a pain in the a**.  I know NGLTC missed a Greenberg
show to committ to at GATS show, only to have GATS back out of it.   O, S,
HO, N, TT, Z... let's see.  rearranging the letters.. Z, S, N, HO,O, TT,
wait.. that's (z)SN(ho)OT(t)!

Sounds like the old timers are in GATS, but Greenberg and NMRA people
accept the
LEGO train hobby.  I've heard nothing but good things about the Cincinnati
show--it was a great event, and it's hard to believe 75 AFOL/ALE's were
there...

Scott