 Trains / Train Organizations / 216
Re: Web Hosting Questions?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.publish, lugnet.org, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 22 Dec 1999 13:38:18 GMT

In lugnet.publish, Robin Werner writes:
Hi All,

I’m planning to lock-in a club www.gfltc.org address and I know it will cost
$70 (first two years). But what about the Web Hosting part, there are
companies that charge by the month and by the year. I also guess there maybe
company or two that would sponsor us for free (if I could find them)? The best
deal I can find for our small low budget club is a free XOOM site(with pop-up
adds) linked by NameSecure.com forwarding service ($24.95 a year plus one time
$25 setup) Do any of you have better ideas or tips? How did the other LTC and
LUG do it?

NELUG is hosted by pair Networks ( www.pair.com ).  We have an Advanced account
which goes for $16.95 per month plus setup fees.  You get 60 Meg of space plus
other features including a POP mail account.  To see a listing of all their
services look at ( http://www.pair.com/pair/services.html ).  There are some
that are more expensive ans some less.  Pair also has some Pre-paid deals that
help to drop the price (We got lucky because we pre-paid for 1 year and at the
time Pair was running a monthly promotion for 50% off if you pre-paid).

On the issue of "Pop-up Adds" I would say avoid them if at all possible.  I
personally can't stand them and I will often not even look at a site if Adds
start poping up in new windows.  Adds on the page aren't quite so bad but I
think it takes away from the spirit of the group.  I guess it just comes down
to how much you are willing to spend and how many people are willing to help
defray the cost.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/