 Trains / Train Organizations / 1608
Re: Pictures from NCLTC Layout at the So. Junction Model Train Show
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.trains.org.ncltc
Date:
Mon, 10 Sep 2001 17:27:24 GMT

"Nicholas Allan" <n_l_allan@REMOVECAPSaltavista.net> wrote in message

[ ... snipped ... ]

The highlight of the layout was Cary Clark's monorail spiral.  There • were
two  spirals which were connected by a 15' span approximately 50 bricks
(five tall stanchions) off the table.

If I click on this page I get a brickshelf gallery page with no picture :(

I am not sure what happened there but I get the same result.  As I recall,
this is the link I intended to post:

But here I get a funky picture instead of a quite amazing monorail spiral.
Did you have any problems with the monorails accelerating really quickly
down the hill and shooting off the side or anything?  How many monorail
trains did you have?  It appears that every time I look at a picture with • a
monorail in it there's a different one gliding past.

The monorails had no problems traversing the spirals and I never noticed
speed as an issue.  They seem to come down at about the same speed they go
up.  Very similar to the up and down transitions that were in the stock
monorail (like 6399) sets.

We had three different monorail trains.  The black and yellow four car
monorail belongs to Cary Clark, the extended four car version of the Airport
Shuttle (red monorail) belongs to me (Mike Walsh) and the two car grey and
blue monorail belongs to Thomas Main.

We are extremely fortunate that we have access to as much monorail track as
we do.  Of all the things in the layout, the monorail continues to generate
the most ooohs and aaahs from the crowd.  The spirals and 50 brick high
crossing simply added to the allure.  The loop on the table was almost
completely constructed from Cary Clark's personal monorail collection with
some addtional straights from Thomas Main.  We didn't even have to get into
Frank Filz's impressive collection of track!

Cary also built us a nice mosaic that hung in front of the layout.

The monorail stanchions look really impressive in that photo.  I also envy
whoever possesses that many supports in the first place :)

All of the stanchions belong to Cary.  He has a bunch!  In both layouts we
have done we had four 2x2 bricks on top of each stanchion for a total height
of 14 bricks.  The portions of the monorail loop that would be surface level
are actually raised off the table by four bricks as well.

[ ... snipped ...]

This little mech (if that's the correct term) reminds me a lot of the mech
featured in the end movie if you completed Command & Conquer: Tiberium • Dawn.
It's pretty cool, and it also looks kinda comically cartoony too.  Is it
actually made from Lego bits, or something else?  I certainly don't
recognise any Lego components in there.

That is one of the McD's Bioncle promo sets (#2 I think) that my son built
the morning of the show.  It moved around the layout from time to time.

The buildings around the layout are very nice too.  Such a variety of
architectural styles.  Did one person build all the tall buildings, or was
it a joint project?  I've had to stop myself posting a link to every
building and commenting on how great they are :)

Cary Clark built all of the tall buildings.  If you are interested in how we
partitioned the layout, take a look at this:
http://www.ncltc.cc/events/sojunc2001/module_plan.htm

We decide where the main loops are going to be and each person can then work
within their space.  We make some adjustments but this provides us something
to plan from.

Thanks for posting the pictures,

No problem, glad you enjoyed them.

Nicholas Allan

Cross-Posted to lugnet.town so that Townies like myself can drool over the
buildings and draw inspiration from them.

Mike

http://www.nclug.net - North Carolina LEGO Users Group
http://www.nclug.net/ctb - Carolina Train Builders
http://www.brickbay.com/store.asp?u=mpw - Brick Depot