 Trains / Train Organizations / 1087
1086  |  1088
Subject:
Supertrain Success
Newsgroups:
lugnet.org.ca.nalug, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 20:16:20 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

The largest LEGO train layout in Canadian history (AFAIK) at Canada's
largest model train exhibit was a huge success.  Overall attendance broke
the previous record by over 30% - 13322 attendees.  The largest "kid's
play area" at a train show (I stand to be corrected on this) was the hit
of the show.  700 square feet filled with three 4'x8' train oval tables
(Two <set:4515>s, two <set:4520>s, four <set:3737>s, and ~10,000
other pieces per table.) and a Duplo train layout on the floor - packed
with kids (and their parents) having a blast.  The organizers said it was
typical for kids to arrive smiling and leave crying - because they were
being dragged away from the play area they didn't want to leave.  A return
trip the second day was not uncommon.  Such popularity was reflected in
the voting.  Of four awards (between several dozen exhibitors) two of them
went to the only two LEGO displays there - ours and that of a local boy
(Nolin) who made an impressive display out of his own personal collection.

The usual questions were asked of course; 1000 copies of a double-sided
FAQ sheet (viewable on our website) turned out to be about 30% "short",
[ http://www.graysage.com/nalug/Handouts/handout-01.html ]   (I had
budgeted for 1 flyer per 10 people) and we also handed out 100 or so
LUGNet flyers to the more interested spectators.  James and I were there
of course, and John rented a car and was able to attend Friday, Saturday
and most of Sunday.  Additionally, Raven (and Kalen) were able to join
us for Friday and Saturday, (James couldn't fit everything in the van)
and Adam was there Saturday and Sunday after John left.  His help with
setup and tear-down made a big difference - Thanks Adam.

Last minute preparations and bridge construction, not to mention a
mountain that partly disintegrated upon being loaded into the van, made
for a rather hectic Friday evening and Saturday morning.  [ Inside joke:
"So _that's_ why I'm missing a base-plate and some track..."  ;-) ]
By show opening only the two smaller loops were running, but within a
couple hours the main loop was going also.  The incline, bridge, and high
speed straight away on the main loop were popular running features.
The crowd was in awe of the mountain of course, and the buildings in the
town were/are great.  Kevin's beautiful 8-wide train was the most
appreciated of the trains - in particular with those whom were obvious
train buffs.  "Where can I buy it?" and "Did he get authorization form CP?"
were two questions I would have loved to hear Kevin answer in person.  8-)

"Where are the pictures?" I can hear you asking.  Well, John took about
eight dozen shots with his SLR and will need time to get them developed
and scanned.  Raven's digital camera filled numerous diskettes with stills
and mpegs - James shot an mpeg of Kevin's train and his mountain that is
quite impressive.  Perhaps he's going to shift from Castle to Movie? :-)
You will of course see a follow-up posting with links once they're
available, and others will probably have additional comments...

SRC
StRuCtures
LUGNet#765