 Trains / 907
906  |  908
Subject:
Legoland Train Model Nitpicking, vehicles I recognised, misc rantings.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.reviews
Date:
Mon, 22 Mar 1999 18:32:48 GMT

Well, I spent a lot of time examining the trains at LegoLand MiniLand

Some nits.... which should be taken as constructive criticism because in
general I LOVED it.

- The nonworking switches are very obviously non working. So much so
that they're distracting.

- The perspective is a bit off. The trains actually are longer and lower
than they should be. We minifig scale builders tend to build stuff that
is shorter and taller because of the sharp curvature. The LL builders
went the other way. A boxcar in their world is actually not tall enough,
and the doors are too wide for their height. The front and back porches
on the locos are too long.

- they cheated on the wheels and couplers... the wheels are non lego and
the couplers are just short steel rod links that can't be disassembled
easily.

- unlike with the autos where you can clearly see what prototype was
copied (1) the designs are obviously freelanced, and a lot of the
details are just flat out wrong. Dynamic brake blisters in the wrong
places, hatches that serve no purpose, window roundings that don't match
the real roundings on an SW, etc.

- which leads me to my biggest nit! These must have been done by
EUROPEANS!!! All the rolling stock has BUFFERS. American prototype stock
does NOT have buffers.

One other big beef I had... TOO MANY police in miniland. They were
everywhere. something like 1 figure in 50 was a police man. In real life
the ratio is closer to 1 in 1000.

And the last nit, this post anyway. None of the figures in New Orleans,
although they were begging for beads (it was mardi gras), had their tops
up. :-)

1 - for example, I spotted the following prototypes. Granted, I could
have been reading stuff into what I saw, but I think not... What did you
see?

Large trucks:

- Ford 70's style light duty cabover with rounded headlights and
slightly stepped-back windshield (used, for example, in one of the fire
pumpers, and two of the flatbeds near the big auto delivery ship)
- Ford late 80's conventional medium duty with the big eggcrate grill
and flared fenders
(green and white wood hauler near the shipbuilding factory)
- Kenworth cabover (used, for example, in the autorack at the auto
delivery ship loaded with pickup trucks)
- Kenworth conventional with stepped gas tank and aerofaired hood and
sleeper (one of the container tractors)
- Peterbuilt conventional
- Ford conventional cab chassis with schoolbus body

Vans:
- Ford aerostar
- full size chevy
- Grumman delivery van
- Ford econoline
- Ford econoline super duty with bus body (the RRR bus in N.O. and one
of
the school buses)

Cars and pickups:
- Ford ranger
- Ford club cab with flareside fenders
- Ford F150 with stepside fenders
- 80's malibu woodgrained stationwagon
- Caprice wagon
- Taurus wagon
- VW rabbit (or dodge omni, can't tell them apart at that scale)
- VW Bug (convertible)
- Jeep Grand Wagoneer (90's style) with chrome vertical barred grill
- Jeep CJ/Wrangler (soft top)
- Pontiac Firebird
- early 80's impala (police cars)

and some others I can't remember.

FDIC Know your Customer is wounded, thanks to you, but not dead...
See http://www.defendyourprivacy.com for details
- This is a family newsgroup, thanks.