 Trains / 8823
Re: LEGO Desert Express
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 19:48:30 GMT

Hi Jacob,

[ http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=2385 ]

It looks like the middle axle can slide. Is that correct?

Yes, absolutely! The middle axle moves sidewards while the engine goes through
a curve! The axle element has 4 studs in it's middle section. But a 1x2 plate
with centred stud on top to get a centred stud in the middle of the axle
element. Than I fixed a 1x8 tile on these 2 centred studs. Some more tiles on
top of the 1st and 3rd axle and there we go! Hope you could understand my
description.

I would say, it's the longest wheelset which is possible to build for LEGO
tracks: an axle element - 2 studs for cosmetic topics - sidewards moving axle -
2 studs for cosmetics again - 3rd axle element!!! I will join the X-MAS train
event in Braunschweig/Germany just after X-MAS - will see how well the LDX
operates on track...

The wheelset picture:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/matthes/DESERTEXPRESS/ldx_12.jpg

The motor is based underneath the first passenger car. After I recieved a
second motor I also put this one underneath. That might be enough power to
operate the train. But I think the real Desert Express isn't what we would call
an "express" train. It's more like a tourist / luxoury train.

Regards,

Holger