 Trains / 8807
Re: Track Question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 18 Dec 2000 02:52:03 GMT

Rick Clark wrote:

Michael Pratt wrote:

In article <G5LopF.9Fw@lugnet.com>,
lawrence@thewilkesfamily.freeserve.co.uk (lawrence wilkes) wrote:

Do you mean having a passing line
like this crude diagram, where there are two switches to allow a length • of
parallel track?
----<=====>-----

Yes I do !

If so, you must remember to switch both switches to isolate one of the • lines
though if the parallel line is long enough to allow both trains to pass • each
other in motion, and you wanted to sit and actually play with it, a • quick
bit of switching would allow both trains to continue in motion as they • pass
by switching the switches one at a time.

I don't think you can do this with 12 volt though.

Michael Pratt

Can't do it with prototypes either, I think. Not legally, anyway,... ;-)

Depends on the length of the passing track and the number of blocks. I
think to do it legally, the passing track would have to be three times
as long as the longest train plus some (so that each leg of the passing
track can be three blocks), but it might have to be four or five (I
don't remember the exact rules for when you're allowed to enter the next
block, but I'm pretty sure there has to be a clear block ahead of the
one you are entering to be able to enter under a green).

Frank