 Trains / 8602
Re: Cascades Mono Coupler Details Now Showing
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Thu, 7 Dec 2000 19:28:14 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Iain Hendry writes:
"James Mathis" <thakius@nmt.edu> wrote in message

<snip>

James, that is a beautiful train. Now some questions. :)

What is the Cascade? I've never heard of this train type before! I can't
tell, is it very new, or very old? I am guessing that it is runing out West,
from the pictures. I would like to know more about this train!

One source about the Amtrak Cascade is Amtrak.
Another is the Washington State Department of Transportation.
Here are some links I've found:

http://www.amtrakcascade.com/

This is a nice review of the Cascade written by a passenger in 1999:
http://trainweb.com/trnchief/UTU041599.html

The best photographs I've found of the Cascades are here:
http://www.photosbystevenjbrown.com/narp/cascades/talgo.html

The Amtrak Cascade train does run "out West".  I'm not sure of the end-points,
but I believe Eugene, Oregon to at least Vancouver, BC.

Is the train old or new?
I am certainly no authority on the subject.  In fact, I have only learned
enough about the Cascade train set to simply try to model it with LEGO.

The passenger wagons are actually made by the Spanish company Talgo, or if the
company is not called Talgo, then they are just calling this type Talgo.

The locomotives are US stock.  The gull-wing cars that interface the locomotive
to the Talgo cars appear to be a special unit.  I don't know who makes those.
I imagine it is a special request from Amtrak to Talgo.

later,
James Mathis