 Trains / 7820
Re: real lego layout
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 18 Oct 2000 13:33:58 GMT

kai brodersen wrote:

Has anyone ever attempted to make a real layout like ones in Model RailRoader?
You know made for opperation and really cool?
kai

If I ever get out of my armchair and buy a house or move into a larger
apartment, I intend to have a "real layout". In my current abode, I
really only have a 4'x6' table which is really too small for much of a
LEGO train layout (though I do have a double oval and a couple sidings,
so I could do some operation).

I actually just posted to lugnet.loc.us.nc asking if our local folks are
interested in starting to lay out a plan to having actual operating
sessions. There is no reason that couldn't be done with LEGO trains,
though it would probably involve the HS MK 1 automatic uncoupler...

In thinking about potential layout designs, I think the biggest
limitation may be the impracticality for most folks of having multiple
level track. The distances to get enough height are pretty extreme, and
the resources to build LEGO pure scenery are astounding.

Of course one could abandon the idea of LEGO pure scenery, and build a
traditional table (either cookie cutter style, or open frame), with flat
spots built into the scenery for LEGO buildings. If I went this way, I
would build most of the "ground" using traditional model railroad
techniques. I would use LEGO trees, bushes, and flowers. I'd probably
also make the rock outcroppings of LEGO.

My grandiose idea for a LEGO train layout would be an outdoor railroad.
I would build this using handlaid track to LEGO Guage. Most of the
scenery would be natural materials. Platforms would be placed for
locating LEGO structures. All the LEGO elements would be designed for
indoor storage when the layout is not in use (which would make bridges
tricky, I suspect the LEGO bridge would actually end up being fake, with
the track caried on wooden board as the load bearing bridge, and then
the LEGO truss or girder structure just placed on as a facade).

--
Frank Filz

Home: mailto:ffilz@mindspring.com