 Trains / 7708
7707  |  7709
Subject:
Monorail custom coupler pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 9 Oct 2000 23:30:46 GMT

Many hours and several iterations have passed working toward another custom
monorail coupler.

Here is my latest attempt.  It is not at all what I proposed in an earlier
thread; so much for my being able to "build in my brain"!

This design is still not as user friendly as I'd like, nor as user friendly as
a traditional 2x2 plate with ball/socket connector.  I've tried the ball/socket
approach, but just can't get it to work very well, while maintaining the
"close-coupling" between the two monorail cars.

My coupler design has only been track-tested as a 3-car train set.
I would try my design in a 4 car monorail set, but I'm not only missing one
monorail motor and the special red motor cover, but I'm also missing one of my
monorail wagon plates.  This is getting worse by the day....

Oh, well.
At the link above is an image of the test-track layout, courtesy of Matt Bates'
Track designer program.  If you can think of more tortuous layouts, please let
me know, so I can try my coupler on your layout.

Also, if you are so inclined to try this coupler yourself, have a go!
If you have any troubles or issues, please let me know.
Make sure you put the coupler part with the gray 1x2 technic brick with two pin
holes onto the wagon that needs "support" because that wagon has no wheels near
the coupler connection.

Thanks.
later,
James Mathis