 Trains / 7561
Re: Gondola Prototype. Looking for opinions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 30 Sep 2000 03:15:16 GMT

Eric Kingsley wrote:

In lugnet.trains, Kevin Maynes writes:
In lugnet.trains, Eric Kingsley writes:
I decided to try a Gondola
and threw together this prototype last night.

http://www.nelug.org/members/kingsley/train/images/gondola.JPG

/members/kingsley/

Nice bit of work. Odd re-definition of smooth-side AND rib-side for a gondola
type! Ha! :)
Regarding the underside, I think it needs a little something. Some
underpinnings of some kind. Nothing enormous, maybe just a suggestion of a
thicker spine underneath, or just a few greeblies hanging down to represent
the airbrake system. As is, it looks like it's riding just a bit high - mostly
an illusion and really just a pet nit of mine, but even just a little
something can make a huge difference.
Hey.. you asked.. :)

Yup the Underside is just something I hadn't gotten to yet.  I will beef it up
when I get a chance to go back and work on it some more.  (Actually it's hard
to tell because of the camera angle but the other end and side arn't done yet
either :-) so there is a bit of work still left to do.  I just wanted to see
what I could come up with and if it would justify me getting the rest of the
tiles I need, or going crazy and buying TRU out of Droid Fighters just for the
brown tiles and making a brown one.

Regarding the trucks, MY two cents says you should replace the spacer between
the wheelsets with something black, otherwise leave 'em the length they are.
Why, you ask? I think they look just about right for the width/length of the
car. Even if it is too narrow. (GD&R)

Hmm to narrow?  What is this the attack of the 8 wide brigade :-)

As for the Trucks I just stole these from another car so I still need to build
the ones up for this car.

Eric Kingsley

The New England LEGO Users Group
http://www.nelug.org/

Eric,

  Good luck with Zack. As for the gondola, can you get some train base plates?
The train base plates will let you hide the tops of the wheelsets.

Just my two cents,
Chris

P.S. I should mention that the gondola looks very cool.

--
PGP public key available upon request.