 Trains / 7518
Re: GATS Show Questions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org
Date:
Wed, 27 Sep 2000 17:11:49 GMT

In lugnet.trains.org, Mike Walsh writes:
NCLUG is planning on participating in a GATS show here in Raleigh next
summer.  I received the information packet in the mail yesterday and I have
a couple of questions for those of you who have done this before.

Can someone articulate what "Contest vs. Guarentee" means?  My
interpretation of the document they sent me is that "contest" means you are
competing for a prize with no guarentee of any reimbursement.  Guarentee
means that you are requesting a confirmed amount of money in order to
exhibit.  Based on this I am planning on submitting as a "contest" entrant
but wanted to get others opinion before doing so.  It also looks like that
if you request "guarentee" you may not get spot at all as it is dependent on
space availability and won't be confirmed until just before the show.

Mike - mike_walsh@mindspring.com

Yes, contest means you're up against the other layouts to win the crowd
pleaser award (which is easy for us) or one of the others (much harder).
Guarantee is just that, money in your pocket if you show.

Here is a suggestion to ALL train clubs regarding GATS, from an outside
observer. Go guarantee, not contest. Or go both.

Maybe give them one free show where you go contest so you establish your chops
as a club... and convince the locals that you're a crowd pleaser, but GATS is
a national outfit. They talk to each other and a lot of the organizing is done
nationally. We need to play this as they need us worse than we need them, to a
certain extent. And they do. The publicity for your club is worth something
but the increased draw to GATS (which charges at the door and charges DEALERS
who want more traffic at the show so more people are exposed and buy stuff)
more than offsets that if you are any good.

And make no mistake, without being too cocky here, the clubs that have
exhibited at a GATS uniformly are adding dollars to GATS bottom line. They
know it. They may not ADMIT it but that's just negotiating. Encourage them to
advertise the fact that there will be a LEGO layout there (properly
trademarked of course) to capitalize on that.

GATS and NMRA shows are two different beasts. GATS is in business to make
money by keeping dealers happy which means building the gate with lots of
mundanes and every wannabe train buff in the vicinity. NMRA shows are set up
for the hardcore, don't care as much about gate or dealer table revenue, and
can't afford to pay us. GATS can pay as long as it is a net revenue booster.
Make that point and stick to it. And make sure you *are* a net revenue booster
by having crowd pleasing stuff.

As soon as one club starts giving it away free, GATS will use that against us.
And wouldn't you want the money to help defray new table lumber and the gas to
drive there and the overpriced food and the handouts you give out that promote
LEGO? Yes it's about love of the brick, but eyes open people.

End rant. (don't get carried away TOO far by that rant but you get the idea)

++Lar