 Trains / 7301
Re: Class 24/5 type DE
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Fri, 8 Sep 2000 21:30:03 GMT

A wonderful idea - I cannot wait to see your pics.

If you can make a reasonable representation of a complicated prototype using
fixed ABS elements, I won't be moaning about the cab windows!

Jon

In lugnet.trains, James Powell writes:
I've been obsessing over something to pull my hopper cars with (you know, the
nice big Tyne Dock ones!)...and came up with the fact that it was class 2
diesel's that replaced the steamers pulling them.  So, I've started making 2
class 24 (or lookalike) engines...one in blue, and one in green.  The green • one
is now the problem child, since some parts seem to be much rarer in green than
in blue (or, simply don't yet exist).  So far, I have finished Ver 1. of the
blue engine, but no photos yet (only just finished it at about 10..go figure).
Sticking with the constraints of 6 wide, it has not got a correct windshield,
but this is a minor problem.  I'm also somewhat lenght challenged, with it
being 32 long, not long enough to include all the grills that are on the
bodywork of the real engines.

Just for you NA type people, the real engines were ~1300 hp (diesel) engines,
with a max speed of 60 MPH for class 24 and 90 MPH for class 25.  Some minor
body style differences exist between the different engines, but nothing major
for a class of around 250 engines.

James P