 Trains / 7214
Re: Container vs Trailer size
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 4 Sep 2000 05:23:18 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Masi writes:
I realize that the topic of container size has been beaten to within an inch • of
its life, but a wee little question popped[1] into my mind.

Apparently, containers are 8' wide and so are tractor trailers. Now someone
pointed out that containers are 8'6" high, but when you drive by a tractor
trailer, many of the trailers have 110" door to nose, or something like that,
printed on the side. Are trailers taller than containers? By trailer I mean • the
ones that are fixed to their wheels.

Thanks,
Chris

The trailers are usually slightly taller than a standard container.  I believe
that many of the trailers use the extra height for circulation in Reefer
units, or for when they are hauling less dense items.

I think that there is a taller container, but if so, it would be an oddball
size and I don't know how rare they are, if they exist at all.

Mike Poindexter