 Trains / 72
Re: New 9v Train Engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 20 Oct 1998 01:38:00 GMT

Mark Harrison writes:
David Bail wrote:

I got mine in the was a week or so ago. I took off some of the grey
pieces(including the lights in front) and replaed with black.  Also
added a small 1x1 round black smoke stack. VERY NICE

any other modifacations out there?

Hi David,

When mine turns up I'll put a pair of black doors and 2x2 windows on it
just like my 7730.

Mark H.

I hacked around with mine after I wrote the review, and so far I've tried the
following things, separately and together:

Changed the stack to be a 1x1 round. Too small for US practice. Back to 2x2.

Put a dome behind the stack. Helps. A square dome looks ok but a 1x1 round is
better. Actually the best is a 2x2 round with a 1x1 round stack, even if the
stack is too small.

Mounted the airhorn (how anachronistic!! steam engines NEVER used air horns
except for a very small handful in the late 50's) vertically with the stem
pointing back to the cab: Helps a LOT as now it looks like a whistle.

Removed the slopes in the cab front and replaced them with 1x2x2 round frame
train windows. Helps.

Put side windows on. This does not work well if you have front windows, as
there's a gap. I have tried a 1x4x3: Too big. a single 1x2x2, too small. and a
pair of 1x2x2 in a row. Bingo.

Removed the coal bunker and built a 3 axle tender. Won't go around corners but
looks good. With the pair of small side windows, this looks like US practice...
but now the cab and tender are too big for the boiler. I also built a two truck
tender with a sloped rear (switchers typically had small tenders if any). Way
too big.

Now I have the itch to build a Shay or Heisler or Climax (haven't decided
which, but all use geared trucks, finessing the connecting rod problem), and I
never thought I'd catch the steam bug.

I also think it's possible to come up with a leading truck and trailing truck
articulation scheme that might work.... after all I articulated Big Red's
trucks, if I try the same ball and socket thing it might work here. Issue is
that all the wheels will be the same size unless I use the track speeder wheels
which are too small, even for leading trucks.

++Lar