 Trains / 7019
  Relative height of cars and cabooses

I have noticed that box cars and hoppers (not all but a lot of them) are the same height as engines, flat beds with truck trailers are a bit higher, double stacks are a bit higher, autoracks are a bit higher, and tanks are a bit lower. So where do (...) (24 years ago, 22-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Relative height of cars and cabooses

(...) shorter? (...) Does someone have copies of the various plates? Chris, what I can say is that there are different "plates" (Loading gauges), the common one is Plate "C", and that -just about everywhere- in the US is a minimum of Plate "C" (...) (24 years ago, 22-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Relative height of cars and cabooses

(...) Thanks James, Way more detail than I was looking for but your response is greatly appreciated. I really was just wondering what everyone was doing height wise, and if I needed to make my caboose taller (to make it as tall as my engine). I plan (...) (24 years ago, 23-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Relative height of cars and cabooses

(...) This answer is for american practice, rather than european (where cabooses per se were not at all common, although brakevans *were* used)... note that early canadian writings may refer to a caboose as a brakevan. The answer is, of course: "it (...) (24 years ago, 23-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Relative height of cars and cabooses

(...) Right. And cabeese in hilly country often had to have specially reinforced frames because they might have several pusher units coupled on behind them to help get over steep grades. ++Lar (24 years ago, 23-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Relative height of cars and cabooses

(...) Hence the PRR's early use of all steel cabeese. However, it was illegal in some areas to put the pushers behind the caboose, they had to be cut in in front of the caboose. One simple reason why: who cares if a coal car is converted into (...) (24 years ago, 23-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Relative height of cars and cabooses

(...) Another one of the reasons for the uniform height of most cars was so you could switch cars with people on top of them, controlling the moves via relayed hand signals. Handbrakes also used to be located on top of the cars, and later, on the (...) (24 years ago, 23-Aug-00, to lugnet.trains)