 Trains / 6200
Re: Steam Train Wheels (Part2)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 13 Jun 2000 05:50:14 GMT

Some people thought I was crazy for cutting the hubs however, the plan worked
with No screw ups! 2 more hours in the workshop and you will see the (Maybe
First) Working 4-8-8-4 Negotiate Switches/Crossings.... I even made some
changes to the linkages so they would move more smoothly under the boiler.

What have I learned? I now realize why LEGO never really designed any trains
like this for production. Its unrealistic around turns however REAL Life
4-8-8-4's never took curves and switches like this anyway. I'm happy so far
with the result. This will be a pleasure to add to my working Train Collection,
not a timeless model that sits on a shelf collecting dust!

The Final Picts with Steam train on the switches will be posted as soon as I
complete the last few hubs.

You can follow the production of Wheels at

http://www.oswego.edu/~sardullo/RnD.html

Enjoy again,
Wayne

In lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr, Wayne Sardullo writes:
I now have a Webpage for my Progress on cutting Wheels (Technic Hubs) for use
for your Large Steam Train Project. Its still in its early stages however some
of you might want to at least take a look and see. My first trial was to use a
Lathe, however with further investigation, I will be placing them on a Milling
machine where I don't have to worry about Shattering the hub. The cutting tool
would heat up the Plastic and dig in to fast.

If my next test works out and looks professional,I will open the service up to
those who would like me to cut your wheels for a Very Small Price. Stay Tuned.

Here's the New Webpage, Its also linked off my main LEGO Page.