 Trains / 6197
Re: Train Speed: 9V vs. 12V
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 12 Jun 2000 19:52:06 GMT

I was playing with a couple of my 12V engines (7735 and 7755) last night with a
stopwatch.  I don't have a very long stretch of straight track--only about
40"--but from my computations my average speed for both engines pulling nothing
was about 2.84 MPG, and pulling several wagons about 2.25 MPG.  These numbers
should go up over a longer stretch, though, as I had the engines going around a
curve coming into the straightaway and therefore not at top speed.  Does
anybody else have a basis for comparing 12V vs. 9V engine speeds?  I don't
think my numbers are terribly accurate, although they should give a ballpark
idea.  Maybe I'll try for a longer stretch of straight track this week and see
if the numbers go up a bit.

On another note, the 7755 was impressively stable compared to the 7735
engine--the 7735 tipped over quite easily on curves and didn't tend to handle
points too well, either.  The 7755 behaved very nicely, only tipping over (or
going up on six wheels, then righting itself) occasionally at full speed on
curves.  I was thinking last night that between the 9V and gray 12V sets, the
7755, 4564, and 4565 have freight engines with two trucks, while the 4563 and
7727/30/35/60 are all fixed-wheel models (and I guess 3225 sort of fits this
category too--and you could count 7722 and 7720, although they're 4.5V
engines).  Interesting to note that 2 of 3 9V models have articulating trucks,
but only 1 of 5 12V models.  Perhaps the Lego designers have made stability a
higher priority in the newer models?

Alan

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Tracey writes:
Using the new speed computer http://www.lugnet.com/pause/search/?query=5206,
Jeff Stembel and I discovered the top speed along a ten foot section of
track is about 5.42 km/h (3.37 mi/h).  Of course, there is no replication on
this experiment since we only tried one motor.  The computer also read the
distance on a carpeted floor.  Your results may vary.

-chris