 Trains / 6068
Re: 4-8-8-4 Followup (98% Done)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 18:59:47 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr, John Robert Blaze Kanehl writes:
In lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr, Wayne Sardullo writes:
Well I am 98% done with Version 1. The only thing I have left is the
Conductor Control Room for my Minifigs. I didn't built it because I am trying
to make it as close to the real thing as possible.

I will admit the train does look a wee-bit odd without anyone running it = )
(the flying Dutchman of Lego Trains?)

Heheh, Flying Dutchman of Lego trains, I like that. Thanks for the idea,It will
now be called the "The Dutchman"

I spent alot of time coming
up with a creative look for the Furnace. I needed something to breakup the Long
cylinder look. I personally like it however, the engine just doesn't look
complete without the conductors control room.

Hey when you get 98% of the design and construction done in 24-48
hours...you are way ahead of the game...lol...I have a couple of projects
that have remained in the unfinished bin for years...

Heheh, I spent the entire Memorial Day Weekend on this, No breaks but lots of
Beer!

Also, I had a few email's about Powering, I ran some tests with the 9v(5300)
in various locations. The best result was 2 (9v) in the tender box. I had to
weight it down though.  The coal tender box is 6 LBS. WOW, its heavy but it
gets great traction. so whats the weight? (3) 2x6x3 weight blocks and one Old
4.5 Motor from an old Lego train I had.

I already see some changes I am going to make to seem "MORE REAL", my goal was
to first see if I could do it. So I guess I can say Mission accomplished. I
still have the Switch/Crossing track issue to fix but, that will be a breeze.

Again my knowledge of trains is limited, but your engine seems quite large
for the Lego curves and switches to accomodate...

  Testing proved very successful. It can go around a full Circle of track
without problems at the HIGHEST speed setting on the controller even though it
looks a little silly.

  The Switch and Crossing track problem is going into R&D. I have two test
wheels
I cut on a lathe today. So far the test with modified hub wheels work Perfectl
and roll without problems on a switching track. Looks like this could be a FULLY
fucnctional Train.

I think HUGE is an appropriate description...Your engine + coal car look to
be longer than TLG's last Lego Train set...How big a layout do you need to
host this monster? Are you going to create supplemental cars?

  Right now (before I make my Changes the SteamTrain + Coal car is just under 6
Straight Track Lengths. For those of you who don't know that in Inches its,
30 Inches Long! heheh thats over two Feet!
  I'm Thinking about it. I am thinking about a caboose at the very Least,
depends on how much more Black pieces I have. I have alot of lego however Black
pieces are at a minimum for me. I might have to make a Red or Blue one.

Will it fit in your train station?  = )

Just when you think your train station is complete, Its Not. I almost had a
heart attack because I tried placing the train into the Station. Its to Tall to
fit in, however If I raise the archway over tracks by 2 more brick heights I
should be ok, It looks funny in the Station. It takes up the entire station. And
thats not even including the Coal car.

Laugh More? I thought the Metroliner was a good size (3 Cars) hahah my Steam
Train with coalcar is the same Length.

                         John