 Trains / 6064
Re: 4-8-8-4 Followup (98% Done)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr, lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 17:45:49 GMT

In lugnet.loc.us.ny.syr, Wayne Sardullo writes:
Well I am 98% done with Version 1. The only thing I have left is the
Conductor Control Room for my Minifigs. I didn't built it because I am trying
to make it as close to the real thing as possible.

I will admit the train does look a wee-bit odd without anyone running it = )
(the flying Dutchman of Lego Trains?)

I spent alot of time coming
up with a creative look for the Furnace. I needed something to breakup the Long
cylinder look. I personally like it however, the engine just doesn't look
complete without the conductors control room.

Hey when you get 98% of the design and construction done in 24-48
hours...you are way ahead of the game...lol...I have a couple of projects
that have remained in the unfinished bin for years...

Also, I had a few email's about Powering, I ran some tests with the 9v(5300)
in various locations. The best result was 2 (9v) in the tender box. I had to
weight it down though.  The coal tender box is 6 LBS. WOW, its heavy but it
gets great traction. so whats the weight? (3) 2x6x3 weight blocks and one Old
4.5 Motor from an old Lego train I had.

I already see some changes I am going to make to seem "MORE REAL", my goal was
to first see if I could do it. So I guess I can say Mission accomplished. I
still have the Switch/Crossing track issue to fix but, that will be a breeze.

Again my knowledge of trains is limited, but your engine seems quite large
for the Lego curves and switches to accomodate...

Here's some Cheesy picts just to get an Idea of size. The over all length is 6
straight tracks, (WOW)

http://www.oswego.edu/~sardullo/lego/steamright.jpg
http://www.oswego.edu/~sardullo/lego/almostdone.jpg
http://www.oswego.edu/~sardullo/lego/coalcar.jpg

Impressive!

I think HUGE is an appropriate description...Your engine + coal car look to
be longer than TLG's last Lego Train set...How big a layout do you need to
host this monster? Are you going to create supplemental cars?

Will it fit in your train station?  = )

                          John