 Trains / 6047
Re: Hiawatha engine
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 30 May 2000 01:56:29 GMT

Nice start, Mike-

Although the Hi Atlantic is streamlined and thus at first glance looks to be
an easy model to make, I can testify that that isn't the case indeed.  My Hi
took about a half a year to complete, mostly trying to acquire the specialty
pieces I needed to "get it right".  Getting it to run was another big problem
in and of itself.  So I feel I know about what you are going through.  A
couple of suggestions:

-For the striping, I would use plates for the color red.  The red stripes are
not as thick as the orange is.
-How about a hand rail?  It would be easy to put one in and it would add a lot
to break up the wall of gray along side of the engine
-Have you ever tried running chains on a track before?  I would make sure the
design works before I used it.
-Speaking of design, I'm afraid yours won't work in turns as you have
configured your wheels

As a exercise in imitation, you have succeeded in creating an MOC that says
"Hiawatha Atlantic".  Your next step should be to build it so that it actually
runs.

Good Luck:-)

-John

Michael Kay wrote:

I have finalized my design for this engine but......dont have enough orange
pieces.   i used the large gears wrapped with chain links for the large
wheels....tell me what u think..

THanks,  Mike

http://www.geocities.com/whompalompa/train/