 Trains / 5782
Re: Pictures of my 8-wide trains on brickshelf
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.loc.it
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2000 08:51:45 GMT

In lugnet.trains, John Neal writes:
Bravo, Gianluca!

Another disciple;-)  Welcome to the 8 wide side{:^D  You've built almost
as many 8 wides as I have!  I especially enjoyed your Santa Fe
Warbonnet.  I would be interested in hearing your experiences in building
8 wide, as I'm sure would many others who haven't tried it before.

Excellent work!

-John

Hi,John
first of all thanks for your "excellent work" (and,of course thanks to all who
appreciated my trains!)

My first lego train was a metroliner,in 1993.
I soon got bored of it,because it was so small and light....
About in 1994 I had this idea: real trains are as wide as sleepers (I hope it
is the right world,I mean the wood stuff under the rails), while lego trains
are as wide as their gauge (6 studs)... - "they are too small!" - I thought!
So I began to draw a 8wide metroliner coach in european style (the one you see
in my pics) and I was surprised by its realism:

1) the roof was like a semicylinder (two levels of slopes, 25° on 45° ones)
2) it was long (40 studs),wide,high and proportionated to rail size
3) inside it there was space enought for TWO rows of seats
4) it was proportionated to cars (4wide) and lorries and trucks (6wide)
5) the diaphragm is 6-wide,so you can build a 4 wide door in it! (look at pic
10)
6) it's so solid and HEAVY !

in that very moment I decided that all my trains would have been 8-wide!

So, that's my story...I hope that many lego train builders will try 8-wide,also
because:
WE'RE RIGHT,THEY'RE WRONG! ;-)))

greetings from Italy
Gianluca