 Trains / 5632
Re: Lionel and LEGO
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 16:34:30 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Christopher Tracey writes:
One of the members of WAMALUG spotted this in an ebay auction recently.
http://cgi.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=311415275

At a Greenberg show last Feburary, I was talking to a lionel dealer who
asked me if I had ever heard that back in the 1950/60's Lionel had a
brief deal with LEGO to produce a helicopter on a flatcar.  He said some
were produced but people were glueing baseplates to a standard car and
building a helicopter on it, thereby counterfitting the original.  I had
never heard of this before and checked around briefly, with no results.

The seller states this is from 1995 Stocking Stuffer's catalog, so maybe
they reissued a new version of the original attempt.  Does anybody know
anything about this?

-Chris

I have a 1995 Stocking Stuffer's catalog. The flatcar with helicopter is in it,
however my understanding is that it was never produced. The seller could be
selling either counterfeits or preproduction models. The are not real LEGO
either, but a clone. When I get home tonight I will scan the catalog entry.

Russell