 Trains / 5515
5514  |  5516
Subject:
4 Wide Hiawatha car-- This is weird!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Tue, 11 Apr 2000 06:17:19 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Okay, I built *one* more 4 wide car -- a parlor car from the 1939
Hiawatha streamliner run by Milwaukee Road.  Now, check this out:  I
have 4 pics to show you.

The first is my 4 wide taken directly from my scanner (100%):

Okay.  Now this next pic is some artwork I made which traced the scanned
image of my 4 wide *exactly*:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/J-2/4wide/hidrawing.jpg

Now, the next pic is a scan of a schematic of the Hi car from Model
Railroader magazine.  It is drawn exactly to HO scale and I shot it at
100%.
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/J-2/4wide/mrschematic.jpg

Finally, the last pic takes my drawing from my 4 wide and overlays it on
the Model Railroader schematic:
http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/J-2/4wide/hioverlay.jpg

Basically what this means is that 4 wide is virtually identical to HO
scale and that there is geometry going on here that I not aware.  For
instance, I used all plates on my 4 wide because the lines created by
the plates matched perfectly the flutings (ribs) on the sides.  A 1x2
was almost a perfect size for a window.  The brown diaphragms under the
car are exactly 3 plates high.  The orange and red bands across the top
of the windows are exactly 1 plate high.  And the roof is exactly 2
plates high.  So it worked out pretty neato.  Once I get some passenger
trucks, I'll post more pics:-)

-John