 Trains / 4698
  Re: Train Stoppers

(...) Derails also have to be installed on the correct side of the track. If they are on a siding or industrial track they are installed on the rail of that track that is furthest from the main, that way the wheels are lifted up, over the rail, and (...) (25 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Stoppers

At the edge of my memory, I can remember, as a kit, hearing a news story about derailers being stolen. It made the news as the items stolen were explosive in nature. I assume it would be a small charge which would be set off by the train/carriage (...) (25 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Stoppers

(...) I believe those are "track torpedoes" which are (were) set out several hundred (thousand) yards behind a train stopped on or fouling the main. They detonate with an explosive sound when train wheels go over them, thus making an audible (...) (25 years ago, 8-Mar-00, to lugnet.trains)