 Trains / 4202
Re: 9v train motors at higher voltage
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2000 08:41:53 GMT

Dear Ben,

the Lego®-motors are to small to have a thermal switch. Only the speed
regulator has one, to avoid damage on the regulator by short cuts in the
curcuit.
But you can drive the 9V motor for quite a while with at least 12V, since all
Lego® electric stuff is quite robust.

As a kid I even have driven a 4.5V Motor for days on my 12V track layout. And
actually it's still working today (with 4.5V again of course).

I think, if you just build a quite small race engine, 12V or even some more
won't hurt your motor. But you should not overlast it by amounts of cars in
addition.

I've done some conversions of 9V motors for running on 12V track and my
experience with them is that they tilting out of curves long before you reach
the maximum 12V of the speed regulator.

Kind Regards,

Ben (the one from Germany)

Has anyone driven a 9v LEGO train motor with voltages above 9v dc?

I'm curious to try it.  Worst case, I figure you blow the thermal switch in
the motor and it shuts down.  Sound logical.  But before I try it, I'd be
cursious to know if anyone has any experience with it.

Ben F