 Trains / 4154
  Too Much Track

I have a question that I know one of you train heads out there can answer. I recently purchased some additional track to expand my layout, and found that the resistance of the track quickly overcame the voltage of the transformer. Does anyone have (...) (24 years ago, 11-Feb-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Too Much Track

(...) AFAIK it is not really required to add an extra transformer, instead add an extra connection to another part of the track to the same transformer and it should work fine. -Frank (24 years ago, 11-Feb-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Too Much Track

(...) Around 200 pieces is the max outward from a connector. I try to limit myself to 100 pieces (straight/curve, the points have _way_ more resistance), and it seems to work OK at that. You cannot add a 2nd transformer unless you separate the track (...) (24 years ago, 11-Feb-00, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Too Much Track

Thanks to both you and Frank for your help. I had already suspected that the turnouts had a much greater resistance (seemed to be common sense, and experimentation proved it out), but I think I also had a fundamental flaw in my layout. My longest (...) (24 years ago, 12-Feb-00, to lugnet.trains)