 Trains / 4065
Re: Freight Loading Station
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Mon, 7 Feb 2000 16:27:50 GMT

In lugnet.trains, Mike Poindexter writes:

Does the container grabber require hands to assist in operating?  If not, I am
going to try to make a freight loading station that is completely remote
controlled.

I have been experimenting with a remote operated freight station with some
success. Instead of a grabber I used magnets. Similar to some car decoupler
systems a little technic pin pushes the container away from the magnet.
Downside is that it's hard to align the container in the right way and it's
mechanism makes the 'grabber' quite cumbersome.

Another (better) version worked with sloped pieces under which the container
would slide (and the magnet would stay at the same level) this system worked
well since the containers would drop (correctly aligned) on the same spot
above the rails. It worked quite well though if I had to rebuild it now I
think I would use technic axles instead of sloped pieces since the axles don't
have the rough edge every step like bricks have.

Unfortunately I have no pictures and I have used the parts in another models
but with this description it should be possible to recreate a similar system.

-Frank