 Trains / 31281
31280  |  31282
Subject:
C&NW Bi-levels, take 2
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Fri, 25 Feb 2011 05:25:51 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

full gallery

My first attempt at the C&NW Bi-levels was nice at the time, but now looks clunky. The prototypes are designed for push-pull operations, with a cab car on the rear end. But because I used the drop train base for the cars, I could only put motors under the locomotive. A fact that made push operations that much more demanding on the motors. The drop train bases also made the cars look really tall and stocky. And when I built them, dark green was a very expensive dream so V1 was in standard green. You’d recognize what I was aiming for but you’d never go, “wow, that’s CNW to a T” (for the morbidly curious, go up one level from the full gallery to see what I mean).

In the past year Lego introduced the necessary curved bricks in dark green and Lugbulk put enough of them at my disposal. So I’ve gone back and revisited the C&NW Bi-levels. The cars are completely new, I moved away from the train base, and the new cars 42 studs long. The new 1x2x2 windows made the control cab design trivial. With the extra room, I could put two headlights on the cab car, so that lead to my choosing the PF lighting element. The cab car has a 9v motor underneath to make “push” operation smoother. But with the length of the car I had to do some subtle snot work for the power pickup to make it around curves. While it is hard to see in the photos, there are actually a pair of 1x4x1 panels flipped upside down above the rear of the 9v motor on the cab car. While I don’t mind showing my studs, I am pleased with the smooth roof and the more seamless integration of the air horns on the cab car. Aside from replacing the green on the locomotive, it is largely unchanged. All in all the cars are better proportioned. But best of all, I got the colors much closer to the prototype.

Enjoy,

Benn

full gallery