 Trains / 30804
Re: City Buildings - perhaps a new city standard??? :)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.town
Date:
Thu, 9 Apr 2009 04:18:50 GMT

Hey Steve, a couple of thoughts...
having made 100+ structures taken to nearly as many shows over the last 13
years, it's been tough to find a consistently well-working standard.  Lots of
conflicts with track clearances and plain ol' tablespace at the top of the list.
My city buildings are tending towards no set footprint standard so that I can
better capture details and features.  Gaps between buildings have detailed side
cornices, alleys, firescapes, etc.
My greatest challenge is integrating the cafe corner series-style of stucture
into city blocks consisting of roadplates builtup with a 2-plate thick x 7-stud
deep sidewalk.  Those tiled CC sidewalks look wrong and I'll probably rebuild
all ground sections.
As I tend to take different combinations of buildings to shows, I typically lay
gray baseplate in a block, arrange buildings to suit, then outline each
foundation with tile to anchor.  Last, alleys are plated.  This may be done
ahead of time, as I did before attending Brickfest 2009.  Of course, doortreads
and steps are built to match up to the 2-plate sidewalk.
dan parker
In lugnet.trains, Steven Barile wrote:
Hi All,
I have been refining my thoughts on a city building standard where it minimizes
wasteful brick usage (bricks not seen) and maximizes city visual appeal and
density. There have been several standards in the past that I used before and
strongly considered their merits.

So I tried building 16x32 buildings that are have "fronts" on two sides. This
way the front and back are both fronts.  A second building size is 16x16. These
are intrinsically three sided and can be used at the "end" of a city block and
gives a nice wrap-around look to a street scene.  Note that these 16x16 builds
will shift the building by ½ road plate side-by-side so 16x16 buildings will
have to be used in pairs as “bookends”.

These buildings can be organized in any order side-to-side which maximizes
flexibility in layouts over time. It also creates two streets views for the
price of one! And they travel very well due to their small foot print which can
sit on a single base plate.

They integrate well with the road plate system too but with one caveat. Streets
can be laid out in any length in terms of road plates. Parallel streets are set
16 studs apart. Now here’s the caveat, the road plates that connect the parallel
streets need to be either ½ “buried” or HOLD ON TO YOUR SEATS cut in half.  The
cutting in half means that you get two ½ length road plates and in most cases
they are needed in pairs anyway for a city scene.

Two two-sided buildings are found at:
http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?f=371520. One is dark red, the
other in yoda brown (aka dark orange???).  I not completely happy with all the
facades but rather than rebuilding for now I’ll just continue to forge on and
make a couple more buildings, including two end buildings and a taller middle
building.

Shameless advert…
My goal is to have a small version of this city standard at BRICKFEST ’09 where
there are ~200 AFOLs reg’ed and the Emerald Night will make it’s debut.  NO NEED
TO WAIT TIL JUNE!  ;D  8P

SteveB