 Trains / 30663 (-100)
  How many boxes of 9v Track in a Case?

I need to estimate how much track NCLTC has on hand for an upcoming layout we're doing (first one in a while) and I'd rather not actually count it. Does anyone know how many boxes of 9v track came in a case? A million years ago NCLTC bought a case (...) (16 years ago, 19-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains)

  A train challenge/contest

(URL) I started a little building challenge for trainheads (and those that might want to have a go) and (URL) Peter Norman> donated a prize so it became a contest. An interesting aspect of train building in LEGO is that it's one of the few areas (...) (16 years ago, 19-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX) !

  Re: Fruit Growers Express Ice Refer #57708

(...) Very slick, especially given the limited pallet in dark red. It is hard enough getting a train to look good without worrying about the interior. You make adding interiors look easy. Benn (16 years ago, 17-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Fruit Growers Express Ice Refer #57708

(...) Thanks The doors did come out nice. I guess there is still a little kid in me that likes to have things like opening doors and iteriors to play with. Cale (URL) (16 years ago, 16-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Fruit Growers Express Ice Refer #57708

Spotlighted!! Also, those are the best looking functional doors that I've ever seen. Scott (16 years ago, 14-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Fruit Growers Express Ice Refer #57708

Fruit Growers Express Ice Refer #57708 I built this one last year but haven't got around to posting it until now. Fruit Growers Express was a railroad refrigerator car leasing company that began life as a produce-hauling subsidiary of Armour and (...) (16 years ago, 14-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX) !

  someone converted a doubble crossover to 9v.

hey check it out. ! it looks like a pretty clean mod. anyone know brickshelf user "marcopolo-1994" (URL) (16 years ago, 13-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains)

  half curve switches for sale

In recent months I have essentially shut down my custom track operation but I need to pay for college classes so I'm cleaning house. Currently i have 3 sets of half curve switches available. $110 per set shipped. Canadians please add $10. Price (...) (16 years ago, 13-Jan-09, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.trains, FTX)

  QR SMU (rehash of the failed EMU)

Part of it is by design through LDRAW and LDD, but some construction was improvised either because it did not look right, or parts in that colour are not available. It is 38 studs long, 6 wide. Presently it does not have a floor - this is something (...) (16 years ago, 13-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains)

  NELUG to display at the Wenham Museum in MA

Hi Everyone, I just wanted to let all of you know that NELUG is planning on doing a Train Layout for the folks at the Wenham Museum at 132 Main St. Wenham MA. (URL) show is happening next weekend from January 17th - 19th. This is going to be a (...) (16 years ago, 12-Jan-09, to lugnet.events, lugnet.loc.us.ct, lugnet.loc.us.ma, lugnet.org.us.nelug, lugnet.trains)

  Updated Engine Roster

(URL) All eight of my steam engine MOCs in all their glory. All told some three years and $216 worth of Big Ben Bricks wheels. Ben probably has a stack of envelopes pre-addressed with my address. --Tony (16 years ago, 12-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: UP Missouri Pacific Heritage Series in 8 wide

(...) Thanks Benn. I just ordered parts for the next one. Fortunately, it was mostly common red, so it isn't as expensive. Scott (16 years ago, 10-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: UP Missouri Pacific Heritage Series in 8 wide

(...) Nice build, can't wait to see the full set some day. And a great use of light blue. Benn (16 years ago, 9-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Mmm... Beefy

(...) Oh, I just meant that this point a builder of just about any nice looking piece of rolling stock would have to list 50+ people where they got ideas from. The fact of the matter is, we borrow ideas from each other all the time. (...) Grin Benn (16 years ago, 9-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Mmm... Beefy

(...) Thanks, Benn! Yeah, I've borrowed quite a bit from a lot of people. Someday I'll have to sit down with Flickr and note where credit is due. As far as coal cars are concerned, I need to build rolling stock, period. Pretty soon my locomotives (...) (16 years ago, 7-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  SCLTC winter show in progress

The seventh annual Southern California LEGO Train Club ((URL)) winter show at the San Diego Model Railroad Museum ((URL) SDMRRM>) in Balboa Park in San Diego is now entering its final weeks. This year’s show features a city with skyscrapers, town, (...) (16 years ago, 6-Jan-09, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build, lugnet.trains.org.scltc, FTX) !!

  Re: UP Missouri Pacific Heritage Series in 8 wide

(...) They are LEGO wheels for now (I need to order more BBB wheels). I prefer the BBB wheels, since the flange is less than 3 studs in diameter and they have less rolling resistance than the LEGO wheels. I only mention the flange diameter, since (...) (16 years ago, 5-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: UP Missouri Pacific Heritage Series in 8 wide

(...) Thanks Cale. I already have the other 4 Heritage Locomotives in MLCAD and checked that all of the parts are available in the rare colors needed. Now, I just need to happen upon some extra money to buy the parts for them. I hope to bring the (...) (16 years ago, 5-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: UP Missouri Pacific Heritage Series in 8 wide

(...) Wow Scott I have to say this my favorite one so far. Maybe I'm just a sucker for blue. Very nice work. So I assume you will be modeling the rest of the fleet? Cale (URL) (16 years ago, 4-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  BrickFest '09 Registration is open!

(URL) Hi All, Just letting you all know that Registration is now open. Hope to see you all there! SteveB <www.BrickFest.com> (16 years ago, 4-Jan-09, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.space, lugnet.trains, lugnet.town, lugnet.castle, lugnet.robotics, FTX) !

  UP Missouri Pacific Heritage Series in 8 wide

(URL) This is my second addition to the 6 Union Pacific Heritage Series Locomotives. I didn't quite have the cab all the way on in some of the pictures, I was just so excited to finally get the side railings done. Please check out the rest of the (...) (16 years ago, 4-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX) !

  NALUG at GETS 2008

I've just finished doing web pages with pictures from NALUG's display at the Great Edmonton Train Show last September. Some of the stuff repeats from the 2007 show, but since we still don't have web pages for that year, it will be new to anyone who (...) (16 years ago, 3-Jan-09, to lugnet.announce, lugnet.loc.ca.ab.edm, lugnet.loc.ca.ab, lugnet.loc.ca, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Ballast Studies & Guides for LEGO 9V Train Track

(...) John: Thanks a great idea! I never though of using the jumper bricks to further randomize the pattern. I'll have to give that a try on the next corner or switch I ballast and see how it works. Thanks a bunch for the great suggestion. :-) -Dave (...) (16 years ago, 3-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: ex-MILW Soo Line GP40

(...) Thanks, Dave! The cab design is all Benn, though. I just stole it and modified it slightly to fit my needs. (16 years ago, 2-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: ex-MILW Soo Line GP40

(...) Two great locomotive mocs in one week (yours and Tony's), it is shaping up to be a good year. Yeah, building in orange can be a bit of a challenge whenever you trip over those parts that should exist but don't. Just keep it away from Betty (...) (16 years ago, 2-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Mmm... Beefy

(...) An excellent build with several innovative techniques (and a nice sampling of good ideas from others too). Now all you need are about 50 coal cars to push upgrade to complete the set (grin). Benn (16 years ago, 2-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Mmm... Beefy

(2 URLs) Gallery> Erie #2602 L-1 Camelback Angus class (0-8-8-0) Steam Locomotive. This is my version of the (URL) truly bizarre Erie L-1>. Built by ALCO for the Erie in 1907, she was, at the time, the largest locomotive in the world, as well as the (...) (16 years ago, 2-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general, FTX)

  Re: Ballast Studies & Guides for LEGO 9V Train Track

(...) Dave, The ballasted track looks great. I must admit, having seen 6 or 8 LEGO train displays I never appreciated the effort required to ballast curved track. Now I know better. My only suggestion would be to add some jumper plates to the mix. (...) (16 years ago, 2-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: ex-MILW Soo Line GP40

(...) Matt- This is awesome! I looked at your Flickr pictures and there is just so much SNOT on this MOC. It's dripping! I love the way you captured the worn paint and the cab design rocks. Excellent work! -Dave ToT-LUG (16 years ago, 2-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains)

  Ballast Studies & Guides for LEGO 9V Train Track

After months of planning this, I finally had some time to get my ballast studies completed for LEGO 9V straight, curve, and switch track. I have posted pictures along with LDraw generated guide sheets at my (URL) MOCPages Page>. Many thanks go out (...) (16 years ago, 1-Jan-09, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  ex-MILW Soo Line GP40

Sometime in late July while on a long, 6 hour drive to Pennsylvania I started playing around with ideas to build a (URL) "Soo Bandit" GP40> in CAD to pass the time. I chose the bandit scheme because of the challenge presented by its weathered patch (...) (16 years ago, 31-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Reshaping 4.5v track

(...) I have been using 2x4 plates, turntables, and a solid base-brick and a hair-drier with limited success. It would seem the plastic is a bit brittle from years of disuse. (16 years ago, 28-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Hopper car model

I think ldraw.org has been toying around with the idea of hosting a model repository. I'm not sure if this applies only to official sets, or MOCs as well. It's also a long way away from going live. -Mike (16 years ago, 28-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Beating up, kicking, and verbally abusing an old dead rotted horse...

(...) (URL) (16 years ago, 24-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: Reshaping 4.5v track

(...) You might want to check out Ross Neal's 3 stud wide solution... (URL) post pictures if you make something work. Benn (16 years ago, 24-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Hopper car model

(...) You can also post it to the RailBricks gallery. Russell (16 years ago, 23-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Hopper car model

(...) In addition to the places you mentions, the (URL) site allows you to set up a gallery. There's a lot of cross-over between forums, but that site is also beginning to pick up some users who are new to the hobby. -Elroy (who'll probably build a (...) (16 years ago, 23-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Reshaping 4.5v track

(...) I’ve had some success using a heat gun although you have to monitor the temperature extremely closely. You could also try making small cuts on the inside of the curve rails, but i've never tried this method myself. ondrew (16 years ago, 23-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Hopper car model

A few months back I designed a (URL) train car: (URL) And recently I built LDraw instructions for it and published them online. What's the best way to share them? I put the CAD file (URL) on my blog> and on Flickr (as a comment under the (URL) 3D (...) (16 years ago, 23-Dec-08, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Beating up, kicking, and verbally abusing an old dead rotted horse...

(...) (URL) (16 years ago, 23-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Reshaping 4.5v track

I am wanting to use my old 4.5v tracks for a narrow gauge train that will be 4 studs wide. Obviously the straight track is fine, but it is the curve track that is giving me some bother. Can anyone suggest a solution? (16 years ago, 23-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains)

  What I want for Christmas

If LEGO granted Christmas wishes, I would have to ask for: 1) 5.5 length technic axle - so my train wheels don't fall off anymore 2) modular train railing system - so I don't have to cut any more hose and the awkward use of minifig hands 3) train (...) (16 years ago, 22-Dec-08, to lugnet.general, lugnet.trains, lugnet.lego.direct, FTX)

  Re: Western Train with instructions

--snip-- (...) Oh dear. I started to build one and found a fairly big mistake... The front set of big wheels must be replaced by a set of BBB unflanged wheels. The yellow domes must be attached on a top corner, not in the middle. I'll update the (...) (16 years ago, 20-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Santa and his Reindeer

A few years ago I put LEGO train tracks around my son's roof towards the ceiling. This year, I made a team of reindeer and a sleigh to run around the tracks. The Santa is an old LEGO set, but the reindeer and sleigh are MOC. I'm not completely (...) (16 years ago, 19-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.fun.holiday, FTX)

  Seasonal Community Spirit

Maybe the time of year has something to do with it, but I must confess to have been moved by the generosity of a few talented builders lately. Seperately, we’ve seen (URL) Eric Sophie>, (URL) Tim Gould> and (URL) Mark Neumann> sharing not only their (...) (16 years ago, 16-Dec-08, to lugnet.general, lugnet.inst, lugnet.people, lugnet.trains, lugnet.build.mecha, lugnet.cad, lugnet.western, FTX) !!

  Re: Western Train with instructions

(...) The final two stages are now up (URL) Loco and tender - (URL) (as (URL)) Passenger - (URL) ((URL)) Lumber- (URL) ((URL)) Boxcar - (URL) ((URL)) Caboose - (URL) ((URL)) Please note I've also resubmitted instructions for the Loco (and boxcar and (...) (16 years ago, 16-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Western Train with instructions

(...) Ahhh I found them. The original loco and the last two. I must have accidentally switched LPub across to a different setting before doing (and redoing in the case of the loco) the instructions. Newer versions will be uploaded. Tim (16 years ago, 16-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Western Train with instructions

(...) So do I but going back to the original issue which instructions are using the black edgelines? Tim (16 years ago, 16-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Western Train with instructions

(...) I agree fully with Philo's thoughts about the "Always black" edgelines. cu mikeheide (16 years ago, 16-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Western Train with instructions

(...) I always considered that "Always black" was unusable since dark colors were illegible. So for me the answer is yes. I would be tempted to push the threshold further: even if there is enough contrast on screen, it could be insufficient in (...) (16 years ago, 16-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Western Train with instructions

(...) I agree that dark gray would have worked better for these edge lines. I can easily change "always back" in LDView to be "usually black". I played around with the settings a bit, and with r * 30 + g * 59 + b * 11 <= 3600 as my threshold for (...) (16 years ago, 16-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Western Train with instructions

(...) See the difference between your instructions and those I created from the MPD: (URL) guess is that your LDView lpub setup has edge lines set to "always black" Philo (16 years ago, 16-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad)

  Re: Western Train with instructions

(...) Thanks! Strange. The edgelines show up very clearly on my system. I'm curious how other people find them? They're set to something similar to dark grey. Tim (16 years ago, 16-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Re: Western Train with instructions

Hi Tim, Wonderful models and instructions! (no I'm not turning train ;o)... But I find the edgelines of black parts much too dark, making these parts illegible. What setup did you use? Philo (16 years ago, 16-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.cad, FTX)

  Stage III Re: Western Train with instructions

(...) --snip-- Stage III is up now. (2 URLs) ((URL)). Tim (16 years ago, 16-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Qld Rain SMU driver cab

After messing around for a few months, I gave up and began working on the EMU. Now that I have almost finished the EMU, I have worked out how to do the nose of the SMU. (URL) should be public soon - I hope. (16 years ago, 14-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Western Train with instructions

(...) Love that roof design. -Elroy (16 years ago, 13-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Western Train with instructions

(...) NB. 'finish off 2008' is what I mean --snip-- (...) Stage II is up now. (2 URLs) ((URL)). Tim (16 years ago, 13-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Lego Survey - I really miss 9volt Trains

There is a survey from Lego at the moment (URL) the section, suggested improvements made by others, there is a check box for "I really miss 9v LEGO trains". Just thought there would be a few people here that would like to remind Lego that 9volt (...) (16 years ago, 13-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains)

  1450 Class diesel

After some more tinkering I have up'ed the screenshots. (URL) it is a cross between the 1400 and 1450, but they are very similar with the main difference being the side grills. I used the dark blue grey train base as the spine, and extended it by 8 (...) (16 years ago, 12-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains)

  GFLTC at the Tampa Train Show - Dec. 20-21, 2008

For Immediate Release Contact: Robin Werner TAMPA, FLORIDA - The Greater Florida LEGO Train Club (GFLTC) is proud to announce its participation in the Tampa Model Train Show this December 20-21, 2008 at the Florida State Fairgrounds Special Events (...) (16 years ago, 12-Dec-08, to lugnet.events, lugnet.fun.community, lugnet.trains, lugnet.trains.org, lugnet.loc.us.fl, lugnet.org.us.gflug, FTX)

  Re: Western Train with instructions

(...) Great stuff Tim! I'm looking forward to your future additions. :-) Cheers, J.P. Manalo (16 years ago, 12-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Western Train with instructions

Hi all, I thought that it might be nice to do something for the community to finish of 2009. So I've begun a project to develop a Western Train along with some instructions. (2 URLs) BS> (URL) (as (URL)) I'll be adding new posts when I complete new (...) (16 years ago, 12-Dec-08, to lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains, lugnet.western, FTX) !!

  Re: Train Layout Modules - IR Train Wheel Grip?

(...) Hi Jason, I bought me some commercial black O-rings that are used as sealing. If i remember me right, i think that the size of the O-ring for the RC train wheels is something around : inner diameter = 14mm (d1) thikness of ring = 1,5mm (d2) (...) (16 years ago, 11-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Brown Box Cars

I have been meaning to build some brown ones... totally inspired by Ben Coifman. Even have the 1x4x3 brown panels in place waiting to be engraved! I added a strip, black and chocolate brown, just for good measure. Maybe I'll do another rev... maybe (...) (16 years ago, 10-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Layout Modules

Pneumatic points, nice one Mark, well played. (16 years ago, 7-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Malkara 2008

It was a few months ago but the Bodville layout was at Malkara again this year and I finally got around to hosting some photo's. They are now on the Bodville (mostly trains) website in the layouts section. (URL) The 2008 Malkara Layout used this (...) (16 years ago, 7-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Layout Modules - IR Train Wheel Grip?

(...) There's no easy way to get tyres off to transfer them. Best bet is to jab a scalpel blade into the IR wheels to get their tyres off, then slip on a LEGO white rubber band instead. It improves the grip up to what you'd expect from a 9V motor (...) (16 years ago, 6-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Beating up, kicking, and verbally abusing an old dead rotted horse...

(...) Great News! Even if you don't plan to go OpenSource please do provide information for the file formats of the layout files and the parts library. I guess this is where it is most needed and people are most willing to work on. Opening the (...) (16 years ago, 3-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: Train Layout Modules - IR Train Wheel Grip?

(...) For the time being I'll be running 9V trains on the main lines, which will also be OK in the yard road nearest the main lines. That road also functions as an exchange siding, where I'll swap from a main line engine to a shunter. For the time (...) (16 years ago, 1-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Train Layout Modules

Did you electrify the cross-over, or are you use two motors either end connected? (16 years ago, 1-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Train Layout Modules

After some intensive building over the last 2 weeks I have completed 20 modules of a new 8mm scale British railway layout to a reasonable standard. The layout features track slopes of up to 1 in 30, varying by 0.5 plate/12 stud length. All the (...) (16 years ago, 1-Dec-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.technic, lugnet.build, lugnet.loc.uk, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX)

  10-piece 3-way LEGO Train Switch set 9v ONE OF A KIND!

10-piece 3-way LEGO Train Switch set 9v ONE OF A KIND! Up for bid is a 10 piece 3-way LEGO Train Switch set. This is by far the most useful and unique set of parts I have ever made. If you are into building highly complex LEGO Train layouts this is (...) (16 years ago, 28-Nov-08, to lugnet.market.buy-sell-trade, lugnet.market.auction, lugnet.trains)

  Re: Oil Tanker

(...) I have a few of them and have been trying different ways to make them look sensible as a railway tanker, I hadn't thought of using tiles and inverting them though The current design is: (URL) Dean Earley, Dee (dean@earlsoft.co.uk) irc: (...) (16 years ago, 22-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Kuranda Scenic Rail Rake

(6 URLs) BS gallery> Hi all, Some of you may remember seeing my QR 1720 class loco (URL) posted here> in CAD and brick form. I've always had a goal of designing (URL) the rake> for it and finally found the time, ideas and bricks to make it reality. (...) (16 years ago, 21-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: "Coffee Pot" steam railcar & carriage

(...) Yeah, I really like how the walls look like painted wood slats. (16 years ago, 20-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: "Coffee Pot" steam railcar & carriage

(...) ::snip:: Very nice, Richie, and quite a unique style of building. The snotted sides give everything a great wooden look. Thanks for sharing with us! -Jordan Schwarz (16 years ago, 20-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: N&W J-class steam locomotive

(...) Hi Benn, Thank YOU for your kind words also :) I know what you mean about the hand rails being disproportinately large, what I've started using now rather than normal tubing is technic flex rod, it gives a more proportionate / scale look. Carl (16 years ago, 20-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: N&W J-class steam locomotive

(...) Thank you for the kind words. As I mentioned, watch RB for photos showing the drivers without the engine in the way. After seeing (URL) your 9F>, it looks like I've left out about half of the feasible detailing on the drivers alone. I want to (...) (16 years ago, 20-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  "Coffee Pot" steam railcar & carriage

I’ve long been a fan of the Coffee Pot narrow gauge steam railcar, running on the South Australian Narrow Gauge, and now part of the (URL) Pichi Richi Railway> in (URL) Quorn>. I understand that the Coffee Pot is no longer running, but has been, (...) (16 years ago, 19-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX) !

  Re: N&W J-class steam locomotive

(...) I have to say, this looks pretty slick, I bet it looks fantastic in action. Clever work of the floating assembly of the fixed valve gear to drive wheels, I know that space is WAY tight! well done :) You really need some side hand rails along (...) (16 years ago, 19-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Post your bogie/truck designs

(...) (URL) Here's one. It's an NA pasenger truck. The MPD and 2 axel varients are in my brickshelf folder: (URL) Bothe end axels "float". But changing it to a single end floating works fine as well. And you could replace a 2x2 end tile withe a (...) (16 years ago, 17-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: N&W J-class steam locomotive

(...) ... (...) And thank you Tony, like Cale you are too kind. The cylinders are rigidly fixed with the drivers (well, there's a little slop), so the whole unit rotates together. The hard part was making it small and sturdy. The end result works, (...) (16 years ago, 15-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: N&W J-class steam locomotive

(...) ... (...) Thank you Cale, you're too kind. I just wish I was at BW long enough to get a decent photo of our two N&W engines side by side. Indeed, I plan on featuring shots of the running gear off of the locomotive in the forthcoming RB (...) (16 years ago, 15-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 7896 "Straight and Curved Rails" Set Review

(...) The review might have been a little too dead pan if the folks at Lego lurking these dark halls take it seriously. I suspect it was purely SKU's, since most children getting the set would already have a small oval in hand, a ton of curves (...) (16 years ago, 15-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains)

  Re: Post your bogie/truck designs

(...) --snip-- (...) It's annoying enough when you forget to post in a relavent thread, it's even more annoying when you started the thread... Another design from me at (URL). Tim (16 years ago, 15-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Technic based bogie experiment

(URL) Hi all, When looking at some of (URL) Swoofty>'s excellent bogie designs I realised that studless technic could be a great way to create smaller and more 'realistic' bogies than regular system bricks. This is my first attempt and, while I've (...) (16 years ago, 15-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX) !

  Re: N&W J-class steam locomotive

(...) Benn, this is just brilliant! What a gorgeous train you've built! I absolutely love this locomotive, and I've wanted to build it for some time, myself. I never would have thought to float the drivers and not the trucks on the locomotive, but (...) (16 years ago, 13-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: N&W J-class steam locomotive

(...) You've built your self a pretty awesome train Ben. The Norfolk and Western J class is my opinion one of the most beautiful streamlined steamers built. Your solution for the running gear is very innovative and looks like it works quite well. (...) (16 years ago, 13-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Beating up, kicking, and verbally abusing an old dead rotted horse...

(...) Compiling pre-existing code with the latest Visual C++ won't introduce the .NET framework into an app. The app would have to be rewritten to use .NET in order to get a .NET dependency in, so that's not an issue. Apps compiled with Visual (...) (16 years ago, 12-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: 7896 "Straight and Curved Rails" Set Review

(...) To underscore that point, in a recent NELUG draft this summer, we had maybe 400 lots for our participants, about 17 of which were lots of curved track (unopened boxes or groups of 8 rails). Also in the draft were such undesireables as foam (...) (16 years ago, 12-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains)

  N&W J-class steam locomotive

I was finally able to clear out enough time and off enough room to photograph my N&W J-class steam engine (northern, 4-8-4) and consist. (URL) Full Gallery> I wanted to build the N&W J class for some time, but the bullet streamlining around the nose (...) (16 years ago, 12-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX) !

  Point Brique Historic Cable Railway Redux

I've long wanted to try my hand at one of those 'redux' MOCs which get talked about every so often, so when the opportunity to exhibit a layout again arose, I leapt at the chance to redux Point Brique. (URL) The PBHCR originally formed a part of the (...) (16 years ago, 11-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc, FTX)

  Re: 7896 "Straight and Curved Rails" Set Review

(...) --snip-- (...) I found it hilarious enough to ask Richie to copy it to .trains but I guess if you don't appreciate satire it's not going to be for you. Perhaps a unicorn chaser of some minifigs doing something wacky would bring back the (...) (16 years ago, 10-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 7896 "Straight and Curved Rails" Set Review

Hi Ted, (...) That's an AFOLT point of view. We enjoy long straight track, imitating real word railtrack. Now, focus just one moment on kids point of view. They enjoy to alternate right curves with left ones, making their train snaking their way, (...) (16 years ago, 10-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: 7896 "Straight and Curved Rails" Set Review

All- I have to assume this post is meant as a tongue and cheek joke (though I don't see that much humor). Ignoring that the rails are not 9V, there's the basic issue that the set is 50-50 straights and curves. That's a horrible ratio to force/foist (...) (16 years ago, 10-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Beating up, kicking, and verbally abusing an old dead rotted horse...

(...) (URL) (16 years ago, 10-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: 7896 "Straight and Curved Rails" Set Review

(...) Was this serious? You didn't say that the staight track can go at 22.5, 45, 67.5 degrees etc. David (16 years ago, 10-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, FTX)

  Re: Beating up, kicking, and verbally abusing an old dead rotted horse...

(...) One particular enhancement I'd like is better track height and slope management. I'd like to be able to set each individual track piece end height to the nearest 1/6 of a plate height. My layout has many track pieces at non-integer plate (...) (16 years ago, 7-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains, lugnet.general)

  Re: 7896 "Straight and Curved Rails" Set Review

I enjoyed reading this review. Bravo, sir. (16 years ago, 7-Nov-08, to lugnet.trains) !

Redisplay Messages:  All | Compact