 Trains / 30658
30657  |  30659
Subject:
Fruit Growers Express Ice Refer #57708
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains
Date:
Wed, 14 Jan 2009 00:15:31 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Fruit Growers Express Ice Refer #57708

I built this one last year but haven’t got around to posting it until now.

Fruit Growers Express was a railroad refrigerator car leasing company that began life as a produce-hauling subsidiary of Armour and Company’s private refrigerator car line. In 1919 the Federal Trade Commission ordered the company’s sale for anti-trust reasons. Incorporated on March 18, 1920, the firm took possession of 4,280 pieces of rolling stock, repair shops at Alexandria, VA and Jacksonville, FL, and numerous ice plants and other facilities scattered throughout the East Coast. By year’s end, the Chicago and Eastern Illinois, New Haven, and Norfolk and Western railroads became major stockholders.

Car #57708 built in 1924 was one of several thousand refers owned by FGE. It is now preserved at the Railroad Museum of PA.

Here is the real #57708 at the Museum.

For this car I decided to do some interior detailing.

Brickshelf Gallery

MOC Pages

Cale